Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Works But Can't Log Into Email

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RadioRazorback

RadioRazorback

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

I have internet connection. I can access websites (using IE), do searches (Yahoo, Google, all work), etc, but I can not sign into email accounts (either through web based emails or directly through Outlook, Outlook Express). Also, I can not sign into any messenger programs (Yahoo or MSN) or Skype. Also, I am not able to do downloads from websites.

I tend to think it must be some kind of Windows security setting but can not figure out what it might be. I am using Windows XP Home Edition. I would appreciate anyhelp. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 27 August 2008 - 01:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 not_anyone

not_anyone

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

radiorazorback,
I am having trouble with yahoo mail. With ie I can't get in so I tried foxfire and got in just fine. I don't know what the problem is but thought you would like to know this. :thumbsup:

#3 Kinney

Kinney

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

RadioRazorback, Do you have any kind of firewall/internet security programs installed. If you're having problems with different applications it is possible that they are being blocked by some sort of software running on your computer.

#4 RadioRazorback

RadioRazorback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:40 PM

not anyone,

Thanks for thought but also have FireFox and does not work either.

#5 RadioRazorback

RadioRazorback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

Kinney,

I have Avast installed as anitvirus. I do not have any firewalls installed (even Windows firewall disabled). I have tried all the steps in the "Can't access secure server post." No luck! I am out of ideas. :thumbsup:

#6 Kinney

Kinney

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:08 PM

Do you have any other computers on your network or are you directly connected to the internet? If you do have other computers are they having any problems?

#7 RadioRazorback

RadioRazorback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

I have one other computer on my network. I connect wirelessly. It is not having any problems. In fact the one I am having problems with is the one directly connected to the router. I have been using it without problem for two years and suddenly this begins to happen. I do not know what I did. I have tried system restore and nothing.

I am leaving reformat and reinstall Windows as my very last option.

#8 Kinney

Kinney

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

I'm not sure what kind of programs you have running on your computer but you should try disabling/exiting out of all programs you have running in the systray(including Avast). After shutting down each one try and test your connectivity to see if it had any affect.

I'm not sure if your problem is just with secure sites or not but here is the Microsoft Knowledgebase Article on troubleshooting that issue.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444
It's worth taking a look at to see if there are any steps you haven't tried yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users