Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Corbin

Corbin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:14 PM

I just recently purchased a 512mb PC133 sdram for my computer. After installing it the computer just beeps at me. I have two slots with two 128mb cards in them. Do I have to us two 256mb cards to equal 512? And Is there a difference between 512mb SDRAM and SDRAM DIMM ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:14 AM

You may have installed ECC memory into a non-ECC compliant mainboard. The new memory may be faulty. Go to memory manufacturers web site and see if the memory you purchased is intended for your motherboard. Check your motherboard manual to see if 512 meg ram sticks are supported. If fairly new motherboard it should support 512 but a few do not. Just a few of the possible problems.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:30 AM

The cards have been made to conform to standards.
64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 are standards,
and the combination of them does equal the total.

One 512MB card = two 256MB cards, yes.

If you have 3 DIMM slots, it's feasible you could install a 512MB, and have the two 128MB cards also = 768MB RAM.

hays47's advice is good.
Motherboard specifications can simply demand
specific designs of the RAM cards that will work.

Each specification is important.
Any two cards should be matched, as a practical consideration,
one that trial & error has proven to be significant, as often as not, to making good
performance.

Also some boards (if not most) seem to perform best with the largest
RAM closet physically to the processor, when determining where each stick should go.

so, take the 128's out, install the 512 by itself (if it checks out to be the right kind, based on those motherboard requirements) in the slot closet to the processor.

If thats a sucess, then try adding the matched pair of 128's in the remaing slots, and give that a try.

Let us know what you find out, and post more details of the exact parts involved if you like. makes, models & numbers ... that sorta thing.

We await your next post.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:05 AM

Try reinstalling the ram. Sometimes it appears they are in properly but may not be seated. What type of computer do you have? You may have the wrong ram. If you have a P2 or P3 you may need Low Denisty ram, or cannot use over 256mb.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users