Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Viruses Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 i am not known

i am not known

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:41 AM

hi i am no expert and if there are any experts out there feel free to add in

i downloaded a virus one day and it locked up my take maniger so i couldn't close any prosses the problem is fixed now and the virus gone but from this run in i found 2 things out

some viruses have 1 file which controls the underlings normaly a running exe if you get rid of the main file it may look like the virus is gone but dont be fooled some viruses have 2 main files 1 to control the underlings and another to download new viruses ( and some times to bring back the other main virus ) so if you have been recently infected and you think you have fixed it but every once and a while avg (or other virus scanners) continue to find virus check task maniger or process explorer for weird exe

are there other kinds of virus you know about if so please say something even if your not an expert guesses are ok

experts if you realise some guesses are wrong feel free to tell me

Edited by i am not known, 27 August 2008 - 03:49 AM.

I hear a boy only has a certain amount of tears one day the pain and dissapointment happen so often the pain dissapers and the boy becomes a man

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:47 AM

Viruses are only one type of malware.

Understanding Viruses and Virus Types
Classic Viruses
Trojans FAQs
Trojan Programs
What is a backdoor trojan?
Network Worms
r00tkit Analysis: What Is A Rootkit

What is Malware
What is Spyware
How Does A Malicious Spyware Program Work?

Are you just asking about infections or are you having problems with them?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 i am not known

i am not known
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:52 AM

ive got no problams virus viruses just wanted to understand how they work so i can get rid of them thanks
I hear a boy only has a certain amount of tears one day the pain and dissapointment happen so often the pain dissapers and the boy becomes a man

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:42 AM

You're welcome but rather than just know how to get rid of them, its better to protect yourself from getting them in the first place.

For Tips to protect yourself against malware be sure to read:
• "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
• "How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
• "Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
• "Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
• "IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings" - "How to Secure Your Web Browser".

• Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users