Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Virus Or Something?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 txstategal10

txstategal10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:31 AM

I am not computer literate and am having serious trouble with something on my computer. I am not sure what the differences between Virus, Mal-ware, Spyware, Adware, etc are, but I can at least tell when something is wrong. I was playing DotA and I started lagging really bad, like terrible lag spikes every 2-3 seconds and so I searched my computer to see if something was downloading, but nothing was, then I ran a scan of my system, found nothing and then restarted my computer. That had no effect what so ever. I then went into My Documents folder and went to create a new folder so I could clear out some of the junk I thought might be slowing me down, and when I did that, it auto named itself Buzzard! I tried again... Pigeon! Again... Hen! And Again... Wagtail! and so forth.
I've asked all my friends and no one seems to know anything about this.
WTF is this, does anyone know anything about this virus or w/e? Please help me... Like I said, I am not very computer literate and I am careful with what I download... I have no idea why this would suddenly happen during a game.
Thank you.
=D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:06 AM

it auto named itself Buzzard! I tried again... Pigeon! Again... Hen! And Again... Wagtail! and so forth

There is a freeware compression utility called AlZip with a context menu feature that creates files with bird names. The bird names can be disabled within the software by turning off "Create new folders" under Context Menu in the Configuration dialog box. Are you using this program? It has been around for a while so there may be similar such programs available if your not using that one.

I am not sure what the differences between Virus, Mal-ware, Spyware, Adware, etc are,

What is Malware
What is Spyware
How Does A Malicious Spyware Program Work?
What is a backdoor trojan?
Network Worms
Understanding Viruses and Virus Types
Classic Viruses
r00tkit Analysis: What Is A Rootkit
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users