Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Soundcard Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:32 PM

I have a headset that i use for gaming and it uses a USB cable to plug into the pc. The sound card i have (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy) obviously doesnt have a usb plug on it. I was just wondering that since my Headset is plugged into a USB port is it getting the quality of sound that the sound card is putting out? Or does it have to be plugged into the card?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:55 AM

The USB connection doesn't have to be associated with the sound card in order to give you the full sound quality that the headset is capable of providing.

Your sound card creates the sound in its DSP (Digital Signal Processing) section. The output of the DSP can be directed to several output locations. It can go to the card's own DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) stage, to provide analog output on the audio out sockets, or straight to a digital out connection eg S/PDIF. Or the output can be recorded straight into a file on the hard drive, or sent elsewhere via another form of I/O, like Firewire, Bluetooth or USB.

None of these alternative means of handling the signal have to be part of the sound card in order to work perfectly well. They just need sufficient bandwidth to carry the data rate for the sound, and USB2 has plenty of bandwidth for this purpose.

Edited by Platypus, 27 August 2008 - 10:00 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users