Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone Is Stealing My Bandwidth.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 0isin

0isin

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:28 PM

So, About a month ago my ISP contacted me about my bandwidth. It was sucking it up, the uploading to downloading ratio was about 3:1. In one night, the uploading was at about 3 gigs and downloading 1 gig. (wireless has WEP protection)
We then finally upgraded our wireless to WAP I think it is, as the ISP thought that this would solve our problems. It didn't.
Well, we are currently at about 77 gigs of downloading/uploading in one month. This household never downloads more then 20 gigs a month. we also have a 100 gig cap on our bandwidth, so when we go over, bang, were off till the next month starts.

If anyone had any help, I would be so greatfull.

Thanks, 0isin.

Edited by 0isin, 27 August 2008 - 08:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:41 AM

How many computers are you using? Is it possible that any one of your computers has a peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing program on it like Limewire or Bittorrent? Even though you are down downloading some files, if these programs are left open they can continue to offer those downloaded files as uploads to other individuals.

Additionally, make sure you update your virus program and run a full scan on each computer. Some viruses can cause detailed connections to be opened up and use a lot of bandwidth as well, although for this much usage I would say the P2P issue is much more likely.

Finally, you can try disabling the wireless and just using a physically wired connection in the mean time to see if that is the root of the problem or not.

#3 0isin

0isin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:15 PM

Thanks.
We have a total of about 4 computers on the network. One of them is hardwired, but one night i pulled the cord from it so it couldn't do anything, and it still didn't stop. The other 3 all have wireless.

I will try running some virus checkers on the other computers.
Our home has students, who we have told a lot of time to never download, yet I think they still do.

Will run tests, results imminent.

#4 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:18 PM

Our home has students, who we have told a lot of time to never download, yet I think they still do.

Unfortunately, I think that you might have your answer there. Notice anyone with a large video collection on their computer? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users