Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Signal Loses Connection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

Hello Everyone -

Here is my current Wireless Setup - using a Linksys Wireless G Router (802.11g 2.4 ghz to be exact), as well as a RCA cable modem through my ISP Comcast.

My 2 Computers are: A desktop connected to the router via a Wireless NIC - Runnings Windows XP Pro - Usually stays on the internet very consistently without any interruption, very happy with it as is.

And my other computer, the one that seems to give me the issues - A Toshiba IBM Thinkpad T61, Running Windows Vista Business, With an internal Wireless Card
It just sometimes depending on the day that it cuts out of the internet every 10 minutes, but a few seconds later it will automatically reconnect, but then sometimes it never recovers and doesn't reconnect to the internet at all.

However, the desktop stays connected even if the laptop loses the connection.

I'm not sure if its an issue with my laptop, A Vista Issue, A Router problem etc. I'd imagine since my desktop works fine it has to do with something on this particular machine.

I should also mention, and shame on me for not addressing this months ago, My network in unsecured, and I dont use any WEP or anything like that - not sure if this is related or not, but am I crazy to leave this network in this state?

I'm open to all the help I can get for All of these issues - thanks in advance!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DazzaH2

DazzaH2

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:52 PM

Check your Event viewer in Administrative tools i would secure that network, it may be an IP security policy issue :thumbsup:
Windows Vista SP1/AVG 8.5/Malwarebytes' anti-malware/Firefox3.0.2/IE7/office 2007/live messenger 2009

#3 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

A couple points to this one. First off, did you create a network name (SSID) for your wireless network? If not, there is a chance that you are mistakenly connecting to a neighbour's connection that may have a weak signal from where you are.

Next off, is your wireless router near any disturbers like a cordless phone base station? If so, make sure you move it away. Additionally, any cordless phones on the 2.4 Mhz frequency nearby could interfere with the router as it uses that frequency.

Finally, I would highly recommend that you secure your router by creating a network name and a WEP or WPA security key for it. The reason for that is that if you leave your network unsecure then anyone with a wireless networking card who is in-range of your router can connect on your connection. Aside from using up your bandwidth (thus making the internet slower for you) you have to remember that anything they do on the internet will be tracked back to your IP address... so if they do anything of questionable legality it would be you who has to explain why your internet connection was used in that manner.

Edited by Phantek, 26 August 2008 - 09:41 PM.

#4 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

Thanks Phantek, You bring up some very good suggestions... I logged into the router, and The name of the network is just the default of Linksys. I also did a search for wireless networks from my laptop that can show up in range. My Network, Came in at 100%, and was the only unsecured network that was in range. There are other networks with the same name of Linksys, all of them secured networks, and at a range of 30% or less.

Also, there is a Cordless phone station about 20 feet away from my router, I'm not sure of the frequency of it though, Ill have to check that out.

Now onto security, I know what WEP is and somewhat how to work it. Is WPA Something completely different?? Is it better or worse?
I can log into my router using the default IP Address, Should and is there a way to reset all the settings and just kind of start over with everything, but include WEP Network Keys??

#5 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:14 PM

If you have Vista, I recommend WEP as Vista doesn't always work with WPA. WPA is a different encryption method that is generally believed to be more secure... but personally I would not stress about it. Just some form of encryption to keep the riff-raff out.

#6 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:39 PM

Sounds Good, I'm going to work on it over the weekend

I'll be in touch with a post and update

#7 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

So I would like to continue on this topic If I may - I went through and secured my network with WEP and it is now a secured wireless network. I am still however having the issues where my laptop keeps losing the internet connection. I dont think its any problem with my network since my desktop has no problem at all staying connected. The error message says the cause was the "driver disconnected while associating"

I took a screenshot of the 2 error messages, how can i post them here??

#8 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

I took a screenshot of the 2 error messages, how can i post them here??

Hi bgardner take a look here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/ :thumbsup:

#9 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

Thanks!!!

I think I did it right - these are the two windows I took Screen shots of, the error code itself is the same, just their are 2 different recommended actions

Can anyone recommed what to try first??

Posted Image

#10 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

bump please =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic