Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help please!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 amanoma02

amanoma02

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:48 PM

Hi guys i have a problem. I use dialup only to have access to the net, and recently something (sorry i dunno the term im not so knowledgeable to computers ) forces my connection to be disconnected and then it dials up a new connection that never connects. It is so annoying so i pressed ctrl + alt + delete then i see some programs running that was not running earlier. Those files are dosxpd.exe , audiossrp.exe and some other .exe i forgot the exact names. So i searched the files in my computer and then i deleted them. And now i cannot open my DOS PROMPT it says "device attached to the system is not functioning". Can u guys help me? I need to run dos prompt for some programs im using

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

If you can still download go to download.com and DL Spybot S&D, AdAware SE. These are very effective antispyware programs. Also try AVG free edition antivirus. If this fails to remove the problem go to the HiJack This forum on this site. Follow the instruction to the letter and do not modify the log . Post it and one of the HJT Team member will assist you. Go luck.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 amanoma02

amanoma02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:44 AM

But everytime i run any msdos based program like the dos prompt, it always says "A device attached to the system is not functioning"

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:40 AM

Does this mean you cannot get on-line? If we get rid the dialer Windows may resume as normal. AVG free edition can also be run from the command prompt (DOS). If you can not download , you will need to find a computer that can. Download the programs mentioned, and burn them to a CD. Then you can run the form the disk. To get to DOS press F8 when booting. When the menu comes up select the COMMAND LINE .

acklan

#5 amanoma02

amanoma02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:42 PM

i ran the AdAware SE and it found several files, but when i click next it starts to delete the files but it suddenly freezes for a long time i had to close it. I also ran spybot and did a scan, it found some dialers and i chose to delete them. but still after some time it would dial again.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:18 PM

Did you run Ad-aware, and Spybot, in Safe Mode?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:35 PM

Turn off system restore. Have you run an To turn on System Restore

Open System properties in Control Panel.
Click the Performance tab, and then click File System.
Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then make sure the Disable System Restore check box is checked.
Notes

Another way to open Control Panel is to click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. If you don't see the item you want, click view all Control Panel options.
System Restore is enabled when you first start your new computer or when Windows Millennium Edition is installed, unless you have less than 200 MB of free space on the hard disk (or partition that contains your Windows System folder).
If you do not have enough free disk space when Windows is installed, then you must turn on System Restore using the steps above, after you have freed up disk space.

acklan

#8 amanoma02

amanoma02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:50 AM

i got rid of the dialers now, and the connection is good to go again. unfortunately, my prompt is still not functional, same goes for any of my programs that uses dos. it just says "A device attached to the system is not functioning". I am guessing i may have deleted some important files?

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:03 AM

Have you checked the Device Manager for any problems?
Right click My Computer / Properties / Hardware tab / Device Manager button
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:25 AM

What is your operating system?

If its 98 have a look at Err Msg: A Device Attached to the System Is Not Functioning.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 amanoma02

amanoma02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:00 AM

i checked the device manager, there seems to be no problems. i use windows ME. is there some sort of installer for the prompt? i have a strong feeling i've deleted something important, so im guessing i just reinstall it, if its possible. what do u guys think?

#12 amanoma02

amanoma02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:20 AM

thanks leurgy for the link i found out im missing the winoa386.mod file so i extracted it from the installer.
thanks acklan and tq i got rid of the annoying dialer and some other problems like trojan horses.
big thanks !! :thumbsup:

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:26 AM

Thats great amanoma02. Glad we were able to help you out.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 23 April 2005 - 07:27 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users