Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Rom Is Not Detected

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Davecv67

Davecv67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hi!

First Post..Hopefully this is the right area for this post...

My Mother got hit with the XP2008Antivirus..(actually my brother installed it)...anyway, I successfully removed it but now the CD Rom is not detected. It has power, acts like it's reading, but Windows doesn't see it in Device Manager and it's showing 'Not Installed" in Bios...this is the LAST this on her computer that I need to fix....(I'm only assuming the XP Virus caused this, but I know for a fact the CD worked a couple months ago)....

I've deleted the Up/Low Filters in Registry
Tried another known good CD Rom. Does NOT work
Installed HER Hard Drive in my Old Dell 8200 and it read those CD ROM's just fine.
I've installed MalewareBytes, so fairly confident Virus is purged.

I'm STUMPED!!

HELP PLEASE!

Thanks in advance....

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MrUnderpants

MrUnderpants

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:44 PM

Hey Dave,

Try updating your board drivers, download Everest PC Audit and use it to identify details about your motherboard model number. Go to the Main manufacturers website and download the latest chipset drivers.

Phil

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

You might consider doing a repair install...after any known malware infection. Removal of malware has nothing to do with system changes/damage which may have occurred.

If it were me, I'd be totally sure about the lack of presence of malware...before I did anything.

Louis

#4 Davecv67

Davecv67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:01 AM

You might consider doing a repair install...after any known malware infection. Removal of malware has nothing to do with system changes/damage which may have occurred.

If it were me, I'd be totally sure about the lack of presence of malware...before I did anything.

Louis

I agree about the repair install...prob is the CD won't operate to do that!...I guess I could Network it through to my other PC?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:OQVk1k...;cd=2&gl=us

Louis

#6 JJPing

JJPing

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

Dave,

Did you ever resolve the cd-rom issue? I have the exact same thing going on....exact same scenario (antivirus2008, cleaned w/ malwarebytes, etc.). Only difference is the cd-rom worked for a brief period after getting rid of AV2008. In Device Manager under DVD/CD-ROM drives, it shows a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it on both of my drives, which are...
_NEC CD-RW NR-9300A (and)
HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8481B

Within Device Manager, if I right click on either drive it gives me the option to disable. But somewhere else (sorry, can't remember exactly where this popped up) I was getting a message that the drive(s) is disabled because it is in use or something.

If anyone can help with fixing this issue, it will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users