Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Keeps On Freezing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 McStick

McStick

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

After I have my computer on for a few hours, and using IE7, the taskbar will freeze up as will internet explorer. I can still just about open up icons from the desktop but the start menu and other icons on the task bar are unusuable. I also can't shut it down except by ctrl+alt+del. And even sometimes this doesn't work so the only option is to press and hold the power button! What is wrong? I find this very frustrating as you can imagine!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:27 PM

Do you have antivirus and spyware tools installed? Which? Also have you scanned from safe mode?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:07 PM

After I have my computer on for a few hours, and using IE7, the taskbar will freeze up as will internet explorer.

Does it freeze up when you are not on the internet or ONLY when you're using IE?

Reply to boopme's question too. It'll help a lot to know what spyware and virus scanners you're using, if any. Sounds like an infection of some type has messed with Windows a little bit.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#4 McStick

McStick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

Hi, Thanks for the replies. I'm currently using Norton Internet Security 2008 and Spyware Doctor. I haven't tried a scan in safe mode but all other scans only find tracking cookies, as per usual!

So far, I've only noticed it when I'm on IE, don't use firefox really at all so I don't know what would happen there. Also noticed that it's getting hard to shut down, i.e. the end task dialog box requires a response from me nearly every time now. Not entirely sure of which program is causing that yet though but I'll try and find out!

#5 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:26 PM

I'm currently using Norton Internet Security 2008 and Spyware Doctor.

My first suggestion would be to shut down Norton (every part of it, including virus protection and firewall. Just make sure your Windows firewall turns on when you turn Norton's off so you have some protection). Then, with Norton off hop on the internet thru IE and see if the problem pops up. Norton is a process HOG and likes to cause issues with certain systems.
This is just a first step to satisfy my gut feeling (I don't like Norton and its the first thing I eliminate as a problem causer).

Report back with a result.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

IF you are going to access the internet without virus protection, I suggest you use a safe site like Windows Update for example
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:03 PM

Absolutely. Bounce around Windows update site or any other safe site. Don't just surf around or your problems will get a lot worse.

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

I'm currently using Norton Internet Security 2008 and Spyware Doctor.

My first suggestion would be to shut down Norton (every part of it, including virus protection and firewall. Just make sure your Windows firewall turns on when you turn Norton's off so you have some protection). Then, with Norton off hop on the internet thru IE and see if the problem pops up. Norton is a process HOG and likes to cause issues with certain systems.
This is just a first step to satisfy my gut feeling (I don't like Norton and its the first thing I eliminate as a problem causer).

Report back with a result.

I agree with your Comments about Nortons.

Many times I have downloaded AVG Free, saved it to the HDD, came off the Net, shut down all Norton's Programs, then installed AVG Free, went back on the Net and updated AVG Free, then ran it. Most times AVG finds things that Nortons has missed. just remember to temporary disable System Restore before using AVG Free to clean up any thing it finds? Otherwise they will more than likely Restore on reboot. Turn back on System Restore after that.

After that you will at least be protected while you do the Tests as indicated above.

One Point, if you decide to uninstal Nortons? Get some Advice first before you do it. It has a few problems with uninstal.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 27 August 2008 - 11:15 PM.

#9 McStick

McStick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:30 PM

Amazingly, after that last post, it seems to have cured itself! I left it a few days before replying to see if it happened again, but so far its ok. Thanks for all your help anyway! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users