Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please, Volume Control Icon

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 isil

isil

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

Hi. I am new to this forum, so hello to everybody. I have been having a strange problem with my "Volume Control" icon in the taskbar. It appears as usual on the taskbar when I turn my computer on and it works fine, but then disappears (gets replaced by the unknown program icon) after a while and stops working. I can never work out when exactly this happens but as soon as I restart the computer, it reappears for a while and so on... When I click on this unknown program icon that replaced the Volume Control, Windows start looking for the Sndvol32.exe and then displays the "Problem with Shortcut" message which then suggests either to point to the the nearest match C:WINDOWSPCHEALTHUploadBBinariesUploadM.exe, or delete it. I press cancel at this point because the whole thing sounds a bit strange as things go back to normal after restart.

I also tried going to the "Sounds and Audio Devices" in the Control Panel and try to click "Place volume icon in the taskbar" when this occurred, but I got this message: "Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel."

Could this be related to the Spyware/Adware problems I've been having? (The problem is, no matter how many times I fix problems with Spybot, they come back after a short while and I get many annoying pop-ups.)

Fyi, my OS is Windows XP, I use PopupManager and Spybot Search&Destroy... Many thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

Have you done a Hijackthis log? if you have post it in the Hijackthis Log forum section to be answered.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:24 PM

MS Article:

SYMPTOMS
On a Windows XP-based computer, you may experience one or both of the following
behaviors:
The Volume icon is no longer displayed in the notification area at the far right of
the taskbar.
When you try to add the volume control icon to the notification area (in the
Sounds and Audio Devices utility in Control Panel, click to select the Place volume icon in
the taskbar check box on the Volume tab), you receive the following error message:
Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control
program has not been installed. To install it use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
As a result, you cannot start the Volume Control program and adjust the volume and sound
level settings of your computer.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Sndvol32.exe file is damaged or missing.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows XP compact
disc to the system_root\System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To do this, follow
these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting
automatically.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
4. Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line,
where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that
contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root is the path and folder name where the
Windows system files are located (generally C:\Windows):

CD-ROM drive:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

NOTE: There is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this command.

For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the folder that contains the
Windows system files is C:\Windows, type the following lines at the command prompt
(pressing ENTER after each line):

e:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe

5. Type exit to quit the command prompt.
6. Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon is displayed in
the notification area (if you selected this option).

MORE INFORMATION
279435 HOW TO: Display the Volume Icon in the Notification Area in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279435/EN-US/?FR=1

310578 Windows System Tray Icons
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310578/EN-US/?FR=1

307918 HOW TO: Resources for Troubleshooting Sound Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307918/EN-US/?FR=1

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 isil

isil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:49 AM

Many thanks for the replies and the links. Volume control is back after following the steps on that MS Article... :thumbsup:

Edited by isil, 22 April 2005 - 07:20 AM.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:23 AM

OK, I'm typing out replies to phantom problems now????

Glad your problem got fixed isil. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 22 April 2005 - 08:26 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 isil

isil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:32 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks a lot. I fixed the problem soon after I posted, therefore I didn't want to waste anyone's time by keeping the message there. I'm so happy that is fixed in the end though. I hope the same will happen with my Adware problem that I've just posted to HijackThis. This forum is brilliant, I wish I joined it much earlier.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:14 PM

Your welcome,isil.
Glad you got your problem taken care of.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users