Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pci Express 6 Pin To Molex Power.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jkirch

Jkirch

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:57 PM

I need to connect my pci express card to the psu but it doesn't have a 6 pin connector on it.
I have a 6 pin connector off of an old power supply with dead wires on the other end. I also have a female molex connector with dead wires on the other end. I am basically trying to make a PCI-e to molex power adapter and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the wires are connected. All the pictures I have found are not detailed enough to use. I could order one but I have all the stuff to make one, and I don't want to wait on shipping.
Thanks for all the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

You can purchase a molex to 6 pin power adapter to get it to work. I don't suggest modding your cables, especially if you are still under warranty.

3939.png

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

General Wiring
These are the standard wire colors but not all manufacturers follow it. The pinouts diagrams are more reliable.
Black = Ground
Orange = +3.3v
Red = +5v
Yellow = +12v
White = -5v
Blue = -12v

6-pin PCIe, delivers 75w: three +12v, three GND

8-pin PCIe, delivers 150w: four +12v, four GND (electrically compatible with EPS plugs but plug keying may prevent insertion)

Pinout diagrams:

http://pinouts.ru/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Jkirch

Jkirch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:23 PM

I don't want to buy one when I already have the parts to make one. And I wouldn't be modding anything. I was just hoping someone had one and could tell me for example wire 1 goes to pin 3, wire 2 goes to pin 2.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

I don't want to buy one when I already have the parts to make one. And I wouldn't be modding anything. I was just hoping someone had one and could tell me for example wire 1 goes to pin 3, wire 2 goes to pin 2.

If you look at the pinouts I listed, it tells you. If you can't figure it out from that, you have no business cutting and splicing wires in your case
It's that simple. No one wants to be responsible if you do it wrong and toast your computer
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Jkirch

Jkirch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

I would never hold someone responsible for advice I asked for, I know the risks.
I just thought that was what forums were for, to ask advice, that I know nothing about, from people who do. No, I can't figure it out from the link you gave me (yet), and I am kinda worried about trying to match up voltages on wires, but I will keep trying. The point I am getting from you is if I cant figure it out by myself than don't try??? That's what I am doing by asking for help. Thanks Garmanma for all your help.

If anyone else that uses one of these, and can simply tell me how the wires are connected I would greatly appreciate it.

#7 Jkirch

Jkirch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

http://pinouts.ru/Power/wtx12cpu_pinout.shtml

http://pinouts.ru/Power/BigPower_pinout.shtml

This is what I have,
so, all the white wires need to connect into the yellow, and blacks into the ground?
Here is a picture of the item
http://www.highpowersupply.com/accessories/PCIX2.jpg

That's what it looks like to me.

Edited by Jkirch, 27 August 2008 - 04:03 PM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:16 PM

Yes, pinouts ru labeled them as white. They are 12v+, which will be yellow
Mark
Posted Image

#9 EuroWildCard

EuroWildCard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

the pinout diagram of wtx12cpu_pinout is not a PCIe pinout. I believe that pin5 is

the signal pin connected to 5V from the standard Molex 4-pin power plug.

I hate to call out a Staff Emeritus poster--

Giving a quick reference to pinouts.ru was weak

as I cannot find a PCIe power pinout anywhere on their multitude of connectors.

And they do not distinguish the difference in 6pin receptacles between PCIe

and PowerATX plug--they are different plugs.

I cannot find the simple diagram online that I had found last week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users