Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba M30x-sp111 Not Posting After Ram Upgrade To 2gb

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cranking RAM

Cranking RAM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hi. I've had this system for a very long time and it's reaching the end of its usable life, the LCD screen has had lines ever since the warranty was forfeit JA, JA, JA, JA, JAjh... (Sinister Toshiba Support laughing in the background)(but that doesn't matter, I can still use it with an external LCD monitor). First of all, this Toshiba model is not sold in the US, it's (I think) only sold in this configuration (SP111) in Panama, which means that it has no wireless adapter (It does have the software). The interesting thing is that I've checked the specs for it in the toshiba Latin American website and the SODIMMS that I bought should be just fine. This is the original configuration of the system.

Procesor Intel Celeron M 340
Windows XP ® Pro Español Original
256Mb exp 2048Mb
HDD 40 Gb
DVD/CD-CRW
15.0" XGA LCD
Network 10/100.
Configured with 256MB, 256MB (Min)/2048MB (Max), 2 available memory slots for 256MB, 512MB, or 1024MB PC2700 DDR333 SDRAM 2.5V SODIMM memory modules. Both slots may be occupied.

The FUNNY THING (I don't know if I should weep) is that this is exactly the kind of memory I've used for a long time (upgraded to 1GB of memory a long time ago). Now, both memory modules are Kingston 1GB DDR SO-DIMM PC2700 (333Mhz) 200-Pin CL2.5 Standard 128M X 64 Non-ECC 333MHz 200-pin Unbuffered SODIMM (SDRAM-DDR, 2.5V, CL2.5, Gold) and now that I purchased and installed the second SODIMM, it just stays there with the power button blue (normal), no video, no beep from the POST and no other sign of life.

OK, so I thought, maybe I should upgrade the BIOS, there I go and spent some time looking for the correct download, NOGO, it didn't solve... CRAP... So maybe it's the MOBO? It's weird since both SODIMMs work perfectly well, as long as they are not working at the same time or in the same system, that is, and in both memory slots of the laptop. I do have the option of upgrading my syster's laptop so that both have 1.25 GB of RAM, but that SUCKZZ BIGTIME, you know, just in case this post is not resolved anytime soon (Her system, also a Toshiba uses the same SODIMMs).

For additional info, I did upgrade the HDD to a 250GB unit some time ago with no glitches. It runs smoothly even with all the CRAPWARE it loads. Ohh, and if someone sees a LCD screen for this system lying around somewhere, be sure to contact me, pretty please? :D . My thanks to anyone who took his/her time and read this. Hope you enjoyed yourself as much as I did. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

If I read correctly it has a max of 2048 and 1024 + 1024 + 256 (base) is more than 2048. Are you removing the base 256? Are the memory modules the exact same (same manufacture) some motherboards are finicky with memory. If all of these checks out (same manufacture, and only 2048 or less installed) than you could try them in your sisters laptop. You can use Crucial.com to find out what her computer will accept.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users