Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Security For An Idiot. Which One To Buy?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BoltonByrd

BoltonByrd

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hi there! Twice you have been invaluable with solving my computer problems, so 'Thank You' for that.

After the last 'little' problem, I am asking (if this is allowed?) if anyone could point me in the right direction for buying a complete and total internet security suite. I am not techy minded (although I do try) and all the help has come from you guys/gals :thumbsup: . Thanks to this site I have just downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti Malware, which successfully got rid of the 'Antivirus 2008' bug :trumpet:

I'd like to ensure that I stay safe from now on, so any tips and pointers (for a novice :flowers: ) would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

BoltonByrd :inlove:

Edited by jgweed, 26 August 2008 - 11:42 AM.
removed widowed BBCode tags

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:41 AM

I don't think that, generally speaking, paid applications are that much more functional than free ones as far as computer security is concerned. You just don't get that much more "bang for the buck."
My experience has been that all-in-one security suites are generally clunkier (both in computer usage and file space) than having several different applications, and that the different modules (functions) in suites are often very uneven in quality.
Cheers,
John

PS for a list of free security applications, see:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

You will need:
One resident Antivirus with real-time protection.
One firewall
At least two anti-spyware applications
A lot of caution and common-sense about what and where you download and good browsing habits (this is always free).

Edited by jgweed, 26 August 2008 - 11:46 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:17 PM

I agree with jgweed. Suites don't always mean better.
The key is not whether you use a suite or a combination of stand-alone products, whether free or paid for. What is important is does the product play nice with your computer.
What works for me may not work for you. I've tried suites which slowed down my system so much a turtle was faster. Others caused no issues.
Right now, I use Comodo firewall and and testing NOD32.
I may go back to AVG when the trial of NOD ends.

IF you do decide to purchase any security programs, go to the website of that program.
Most of them have a trial offer, usually for 30 days. Install the trial. Make sure your system isn't affected by it. Look at the user interface-is it user-friendly? Play around with it so you know HOW to use it. It won't take you long to decide if it's something you want to keep.
Want to purchase it? Wait until the trial is about to expire. Many times companies will offer you a special, maybe $10 off, to purchase.

Bottom line is that you may have to try several programs to find a good fit for your system.

#4 BoltonByrd

BoltonByrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

Thank you jgweed and Queen-Evie for taking the time to reply, both posts were very interesting. I used to use all (free) different software but was informed that 'you get what ya pay for' and buying them would mean they worked better! The only reason I was thinking of a suite, is because I'm not very techy minded and assumed they would be easier to use.
I am coming to the last few days of a free trial and last night discovered that 'Antivirus 2008' bug, so that has put me off buying the trial product.
I'll carry on looking around (thanks for the link jg) and hopefully I'll only have to come back here to browse rather than shout...HELP! lol (yes I DID read the post about asking for help :thumbsup:)

Regards,
BoltonByrd :flowers:

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:48 PM

Which product are you now not going to buy?

Just because it didn't alert you to Antivirus 2008 does not necessarily mean it is a bad program.
There are many ways in which antivirus 2008 ended up on your computer.
We've seen an increase in the number of posts asking for help with this virus, and even the most security paranoid can be infected with it. (I had my own worry this past Sunday when my husband told me there was a pop up that wouldn't go away, it was antivirus 2008. Fortunately he didn't do anything with it, and the system was not infected. It was an attempted "drive by" situation)

Read the following topic, there is some useful info and some links which will explain HOW the critter could have gotten on your system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/165318/xp-antivirus-2008-where-does-it-come-from/

As for getting what you pay for, a lot of us use free security programs and have had no issues with them. A good reputable free program will work just as well, and sometimes better than, as a purchased program/suite.

The decision is ultimately yours to make.

#6 BoltonByrd

BoltonByrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

Hi Queen-Evie,
Thanks for your reply sorry I only just saw it.

I was going to buy F-Secure Security Suite but I don't know what to do now, I'm more confused than ever.

I've spent the last few days trolling the internet sites checking on security that is effective but simple for me to use and I haven't found one yet. I don't like keep asking my son to come over and fix things on my computer as he has his own life to get on with. So something that would offer effective protection whilst being easy to install and maintain would be ideal for me. Is/are there such products and if so where can I find them?

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to respond,

Regards,
BoltonByrd

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

jgweed posted a link which has free applications.

You might want to try a couple of them. Get a feel for how they work.
It might help you make up your mind whether to purchase or use free.

Another idea: Comcast offers McAfee Suite to it's customers, and it's free.
You could see if your isp has something similar. Sometimes they aren't free, but at a reduced price.
If they do offer something at a reduced price, it would still be a good idea to see if that product has a trial offer.

Choosing your security can be very confusing. So many products to choose from, so many things to consider. Please let us know what you decide to do.

edit to add: there are a lot of rogue antivirus programs, which can be harmful to your computer. The Bleeping Computer listed free programs are considered safe. IF you see a program on the internet and are not sure about it ASK HERE. This applies to antispyward and malware scanners also.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 August 2008 - 09:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users