Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD decoder not detected

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Palofox

Palofox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:04 PM

I own an HP Pavilion zt1000 from 2002 with Windows XP Home. I recently reinstalled the OS with the recovery disks. However the DVD does not play video because the decoder was not installed. The CDROM works and is recordable. I also noticed WinDVD software was lost, though it originally came loaded when purchased. Ideally, how and/or where can I download the correct decoder?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:35 PM

ftp://ftp.iif.hu/pub/mirror/ftp.winsite.c...ecinstaller.zip

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:08 PM

Hi Palofox,

I recently reinstalled my Windows XP Pro and then SP 2, basically a complete reinstall and had the exact same problem viewing DVDs, the decoder couldn't be found. I found reinstalling Windows Media Player from the Microsoft download site corrected the problem. First uninstall the Windows Media Player from Window Control Panel's 'Add and Remove' (and then clean the registry if you have a registry cleaner), then reinstall Windows Media Player from MS's download site. Everything worked just fine for me after doing this. Yeah it is a hastle when things don't work. Try that though and let me know if it works. You shouldn't have to run out and buy anything new. Window's Media Player is free. Get their # 10 current Player.

John :thumbsup:

PS I also lost a WinDVD Player in the process. I went to Win's site and couldn't find anything free so I downloaded their trial version for 15 days free use, something like that. Anyhow, I usually just use Windows Media player anyhow. Seems to be quit enough.

PPS If you already haven't figured this out.

Edited by Johnz414, 25 April 2005 - 09:10 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users