Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ugadog

ugadog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:52 AM

Hi folks. I've got a IBM T23 that is beginning to act up and I'm afraid it may be about to give up the ghost. I have been told to back up my files but I am not sure how to do this. Do I back them up to the hard drive? That wouldn't seem right especially if my hard drive is about to crash, or do I back it up to some external drive? Also, is there a way I could transfer all of the files on this computer to another that I know to be good? What software/hardware would I need to do this? As you can see I'm not as computer savy as most. I am using XP Pro SP3. I would appreciate any help any of you cold give. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:14 AM

If the hard drive is dying you'll have a limited number of chances to recover your data/back it up. So, don't use the computer any more than is absolutely necessary to recover your data.

The easiest way would be to backup your stuff to an external hard drive. You can use Windows Explorer to back it up by copying it to the external hard drive (the easiest and quickest way IMO).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ugadog

ugadog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for your help. I'll get an external drive and will try that.

#4 ugadog

ugadog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

Well, as it turns out, I don't think it was the hard drive or anything like that. I remembered that I had recently added SP3 in a recent update. I did a system restore to a previous date and it now seems to be working just fine. I don't know what it was in SP3 that was causing the problem, or even if it was SP3 that was actually causing the problems, but everything seems to be fine now. Thanks again for your help.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out.
Now's probably a good time to backup your stuff anyway.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out.
Now's probably a good time to backup your stuff anyway.

Easiest way to do that is to either Burn your Data onto CDs or DVDs or set up another HDD as a Slave and copy your Data straight onto it. Once finished disconnect the Slave HDD and leave it in the Computer. Periodically reconnect it and save future Data as required. Copying Windows itself is a different thing. There seem few programs available to properly Ghost Windows XP, but that is just my own experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users