Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuous Beeps On Startup - Windows Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AngelSpirit

AngelSpirit

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

I have an Acer TravelMate 2420. Alright, so I turn on my laptop and the Acer logo comes on with the blue bar at the bottom to show that the startup is progressing. Only, it gets to about maybe 10% and stops. The bar doesn't continue until I press some keys then jaggedly it moves along and completes. At this point the laptop beeps. I've been told that's the Bios check confirming that everything should be alright. The screen changes to black, sometimes with a cursor blinking in the corner. The beep (it sounds like the same beep from the Bios check) continues over and over. Short beeps but fast (maybe two per second approx.) To get it to stop I press a lot more keys. The Windows XP logo comes on and startup continues regularly.

When I get to my desktop I try to open the Start menu or open a program on my desktop. The logo lights up but nothing happens. I right click the desktop and the right-click menu pops up (the one with 'arrange icons by' and ends with 'properties'). As if I'm scrolling really quickly down the list, each word lights us, over and over and over really fast. To get it to stop, I press escape. then everything begins to work properly and I can carry on with opening programs, pages etc. Then suddenly, in the window I have open (either application or internet) the scroll bar will start to slide down and down, not stopping no matter what until it hits the bottom. When I try to bring it back up, as soon as I release the mouse it slides down again like a dead weight. I right click the screen and the right-click menu is doing that really fast scrolling again. I click escape, and everything goes back to normal, except that sometimes (even while typing this) the computer seems to freeze. When I right click the screen - you guessed it - the right-click menu is scrolling again.

What I've Been Told and What I've Done

- I didn't know about the Bios check until I went online and did a search. Apparently the beeps and the type of beeps means something. If I can figure out the beeps I might know what failed in the system check. I've searched. I can't find any information or similar advice that sounds like my beeps.

- Afraid it might be a virus of some sort, I tried restoring to earlier points but they started to disappear or a message would show up that 'No changes have been made' and it can't be restored to that point. Soon I only had one point left and it was maybe a day old.

- I used the system recovery and recovered the laptop to the factory default. So it's empty now except for the recycle bin etc. and the problem is still there.

- Someone mentioned that beeps have to do with the RAM or maybe a driver so I switched the Ram around and nothing happens.

Can someone please help? If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:59 AM

I switched the Ram around

Try one module at a time. Do you have a serial number on the bottom of the laptop? Can you post it?

Edited by garmanma, 26 August 2008 - 11:00 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 AngelSpirit

AngelSpirit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

Try one module at a time. Do you have a serial number on the bottom of the laptop? Can you post it?

Oh yes I did do that. I used the bottom slot. Same thing with each. Same thing with both.

Edited by AngelSpirit, 27 August 2008 - 05:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users