Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defraging On Vista

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:55 AM

Ive brought a new vista computer with 4GB of ram, its a super fast computer, but when i defrag it takes 8+ hours i left my computer on over night, thinking it would be done in the morining but it hasnt, its still defraging as we speak, i have no malware, spyware, trojans to slow it down, its the first ever defragment ive ever done.

Anyone help,

Cheers,
Samuel3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Banned
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:59 AM

If it's your first defragment, then it could be possible vista put the files on the disk too fragmented, do not worry, this is why vista will normally defragment in the background, i have noticed that sometimes my vista's cpu usage goes up with a process called NtfsDfrg.exe when i am idle, so just don't worry, defragging just once should make future defrag's faster if you do them more often.
It could also be caused by a slow hard drive.

Edited by stupidhomer, 26 August 2008 - 05:03 AM.

#3 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:01 AM

Any idea on how long it can take?

#4 stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Banned
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:04 AM

sometimes can take up to a day, but after you defragment once, do it more often and each defrag will be faster than last time

#5 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:13 AM

Ok, cheers.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:56 AM

That is a looong time but you are not the only one concerned about this. See the info in link below.
http://www.vista4beginners.com/Disk-Defragmenter

Examples from link above:

I bought a new laptop a couple of months ago. As i now know it had Vista on it, god i miss my xp. I have left my defrag running all night for 2 nights running and its still running the next morning, is it ever going to get through the programme? I expect it will all get sorted out in the future, but what about now. I have tried downloading programmes to speed up defrag, but the downloads dont work, security reasons i gather.

Windows XP allowed you to view the status of the Disk Defragmenter. I never took the time it does on Vista, and Vista does not have the status capabilities. This needs to be corrected. I have been Defragmenting now for 4 hours, with no idea if its working, hung up or how much longer for completetion.

If you want to analyze, get a report on the defrag or specify which partition(s) to defrag, see info in link below.
http://www.vista4beginners.com/Defragment-...-Command-Prompt

Edited by buddy215, 26 August 2008 - 06:15 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Banned
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

Its so confusing with vista's defragger, it has no status to let me know if i need to defrag or not, also try not to use third party defraggers as they always cause problems with vista.

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:02 PM

Auslogics Disk Defrag has never caused any problems on either of my Vista computers.
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

I have Auslogics defrag :huh:

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

Samuel3-----Were you defragging with Auslogics? Did the defrag finish?

GOTTA KNOW!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:43 AM

No i first defraged with auslogics when i got the computer, then i explored on vista and found the vista defrag and it took ages.

#12 stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Banned
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

normally i used jkdefrag, but that was until i found out it caused my system restore points to disappear, unless you care about your system restore points, get jkdefrag as it works very good on vista other than it somehow causing restore points to disappear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users