Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Pavilion A6532f Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 k77996

k77996

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:48 PM

Hi, I recently bought a Hp Pavilion a6532f and I want to change the power supply to a 430-450 watt power supply to power the Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 8600. The power requirement on the box says 300w but I want to be safe. I have contacted HP for assistance on what power supply would fit in the case, and they redirected me to several resellers, but they all only had the original 250w power supply. Can most power supplies fit in any case? or do they have to fit the dimensions of the original? Cases have latches that support the battery, and I am not sure what to get. If anyone has any idea on what I should get, or knows a lot about power supplies and can give me some information, it would be great. The case is similar to the HP Pavilion 6400. Price is not a big factor, but I would like something around $60 or under. Thanks =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:44 PM

I would hold off on purchasing another PSU, with the minimum requirements being 300W, that 450W PSU should be more than adequate. If you do decide to purchase another, the PSU in that computer is a ATX form factor, this is a industry standard size. This means that you can purchase a PSU from most any supplier. Newegg has a good selection to choose from.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:54 AM

The maximum wattage that can be put into my computer is 450 watts. I found 2 power supplies that are quite similar in specs and price, but I'm not sure which one I should get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817121024

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817339016

If anyone has any recommendations on which one to get, maybe one is a better brand than the other, it would be very helpful. I am not very experienced, so i was wondering if ATX 2.2 is a standard size. Thanks for all your help.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:14 AM

I'd go with this one personally. It's a better product, in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:31 AM

I found a good review of the Cool Master RS-460-PMSR-A3 on hardwaresecrets.com. They can't pull 460 watts without it turning off as a safety, but my from what i've been told by HP, my computer can only support a maximum of 450 watts so I think this is a perfect PSU for me. Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:56 AM

In order for that to fail you're talking about exceeding 36A @ 12VDC, I don't think you are going to get anywhere near that figure with what you have going now.

I'm not sure what they are smoking over at HP, but telling you that this computer "can not support" a PSU larger than 450W doesn't make any sense at all. It's a stand alone component, it doesn't need any support of any kind. You could put a 1KW PSU in there, and the rest of the components wouldn't even know it.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:05 AM

You don't have to worry about wattage, you need to be concerned about physical size. Break out the ruler and do some measurements. It will be a tight fit. You'll probably end up removing the front bezel and sliding you CD/DVD drives forward to sneak it in, then putting them back
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

I bought the Coolmaster 460 watt power supply and it is standard ATX so it should fit into my PC. It should arrive in one or two days. Thanks for your help. one more question though, if I were to attach another screen, I would just add all the wattage my PC is using and if there is enough power, I could attach it? Also, is there a simpler way to check how much power your PC is using?

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:21 PM

it is standard ATX so it should fit into my PC.

The height,and width have to be standard to fit inside an ATX form-factor case. The depth is not a specification and it varies.

if I were to attach another screen, I would just add all the wattage my PC

The monitor does not draw power from the computer power supply
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:14 PM

oh right i forgot. I should have thought about that before i asked. xD my bad

#11 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

... I have to wait till tuesday until it'll ship outa San Francisco. It got sent to ups yesterday, got to sfo today and now i gota wait 3 more days. so much for changing it on the weekend. the thing is, I live 40 mins away from SFO..... n' they shipped from LA to SFO which passes our area.

#12 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

When i put in my new graphics card(Nvidia 8600) do I have to remove the standard graphics accelerator that is already in my PC? Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE

Edited by k77996, 30 August 2008 - 02:42 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

Disable it in the BIOS...before your system loads Windows.

Physically install the card...boot the system...go into BIOS, disable onboard video, save settings...exit BIOS.

Louis

#14 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

that worked perfectly fine and now i have my new graphics card installed and CoD4 finished. thanks for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users