Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware/virus Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iiiput

iiiput

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

I recently had malware/virus attack my computer. I had tons of antivirus pop-ups, "virus alert" in my taskbar, inability to access my c-drive and the background on my desktop turned to all white. I have run adaware about 10 times and have been able to get rid of the pop-ups, the "virus alert" on the taskbar, and I can now access my c-drive (although there is now a folder enetiteld "2" which seems to be an exact copy of my documents folder). However, my desktop is still all white and I cant get it to go back, thus I am scared that the malware is still on my cpu. Any help would be gratly appreciated. TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:48 AM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 iiiput

iiiput
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

Thanks. Here is the log from the Malwarebytes Scan:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.25
Database version: 1088
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

6:52:58 PM 8/26/2008
mbam-log-08-26-2008 (18-52-58).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 44422
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\msvbcr40.msvbcr40 (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\msvbcr40.msvbcr40.1 (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

Are you still experiencing problems?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 iiiput

iiiput
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:22 PM

Yes, I still have a white background on my desktop instead of the normal background (I can see the normal background when I turn the cpu on and off)

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download link DO NOT use yet.
Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 iiiput

iiiput
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:37 PM

Ok, I ran the cleaner and the SuperAntiSpyware. I have attached the scan from the SuperAntiSpyware however, this was the second scan as the first one didnt register a log (probably b/c my battery died right after I cleaned the detected items, of which there were 49). My background for my desktop is still white.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 08/26/2008 at 10:57 PM

Application Version : 4.20.1046

Core Rules Database Version : 3549
Trace Rules Database Version: 1537

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:30:24

Memory items scanned : 324
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 4570
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 16563
File threats detected : 0

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:42 PM

Right click on the desktop and select Properties > Desktop tab > Customize Desktop button > Web tab. If there is an entry there delete it and then click OK. Now you should be able to change the desktop background.

Another scan you can try is this one:

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 iiiput

iiiput
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

Okay, here are the scan results:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7 REPORT
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 22:33:26
Records in database: 1152133
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
Scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
C:\
D:\

Scan statistics:
Files scanned: 35222
Threat name: 3
Infected objects: 21
Suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan: 02:14:13

File name / Threat name / Threats count
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\Reboot.exe Infected: not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.Reboot.f 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\SmitfraudFix.exe Infected: not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.Reboot.f 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\22\10453ed6-7f2521f9 Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\25\650d0659-70c8363f Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.a 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\32\41acce0-74c00a89 Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\40\3cda1268-66113784 Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\44\232f2a6c-7727dc8e Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.a 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\47\bd7ce2f-1a1ae82c Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\48\61bc2830-19bf8944 Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\49\49820371-798179f7 Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\52\66b0bd34-5ea2f2ae Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-1ab034e7-2771633b.zip Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-396c70dc-27346ca7.zip Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-3ad601a5-5767c626.zip Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-4e1040f8-61eaa286.zip Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-51fad18-1c853d82.zip Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.a 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-5efd1945-62e59255.zip Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-6b13a7e7-31db3555.zip Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-6d00d9f7-346e3371.zip Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.a 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-9ec854f-646924df.zip Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b 1
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\SmitfraudFix\Reboot.exe Infected: not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.Reboot.f 1

The selected area was scanned.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

Check that you have the latest version of Java, which should be Version 6, Update 7. Go Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. Remove any other Java versions except the latest one. You can download the latest Java from here (it's the 5th one down).

How's your computer now?

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 iiiput

iiiput
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

I have the latest version of Java, but my problems remain. White desktop screen and a file entitle "2" which is a copy of "My Documents" (whenever I try to save something, like a scan, this is the folder that immediately pops up and it takes a while before I can save the file somewhere else - also I cannot delete this folder).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users