Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hundred Instances Of Taskeng.exe Eating Memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Corey smedstad

Corey smedstad

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:35 PM

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP1. Recently I've noticed that after a few days my memory usage remains kind of high. So far this hasn't caused any ACTUAL problems but, I would love to put a stop to it before it does. Slowly over time these instances of taskeng.exe build up in my process list. Each uses between 1.5MB and 2.0MB of memory.

Virus Scans with NOD32 have turned up nothing.
Spyware scans with Spybod S&D haven't either.

As a temporary workaround I've attempted to disable the task scheduler service, however, I cannot set the service to manual or disabled startup. Even while logged into an administrator account the options are greyed out and there seems to be now way to unlock them.

Some preliminary googling revealed that users of IE7 have similar trouble as a result of the way RSS feeds are synchronized, however, I don't subscribe to any nor do I use IE7.

I consider myself rather tech savvy but, I just don't know where to start with this particular problem. If there is any particular information that might help let me know and I'll be happy to provide it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:42 PM

I have something like that with Help..., fix is easy,its not a virus,no it have conflicting software..,My problem was:- i install KIS 2009 on ESET AV 3, and when they scan, they conflict and hangs on it, so well you have something like that

Edited by ~PrEmIuM~, 25 August 2008 - 11:45 PM.

#3 Corey smedstad

Corey smedstad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:56 AM

taskeng.exe is the vista task scheduler, it takes up as much memory and cpu as whatever is running that was scheduled

Somehow I doubt that there are supposed to be 250+ instances of it in my task manager.

#4 Corey smedstad

Corey smedstad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:59 AM

I have something like that with Help..., fix is easy,its not a virus,no it have conflicting software..,My problem was:- i install KIS 2009 on ESET AV 3, and when they scan, they conflict and hangs on it, so well you have something like that

Thanks but, I do not have two security suites installed side by side. I'm currently runing ESET NOD32 for anti-virus and Windows Defender for anti-spyware. Spybot S&D is only used for on-demand scans.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:07 AM

Check the Task Schedule to see what tasks are running?
I'd suspect a program that's corrupted would be causing this (if it's not malware).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users