Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second Computer Doesn't Connect To Internet

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 skb2

skb2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hello. I have two computers, and only one of them connects to the internet. I use internet explorer on both. It used to work fine on both, but then it stopped for no apparent reason. I just got a new modem from the ISP, for unrelated reasons. But it still is not working. I have no idea why. Any ideas? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

Hey skb2. Are these computers wired or wireless? Do you get an error message that it is not connected to the internet, or does internet explorer just say something about unable to display the web page?

First thing I would recomend you do is try and disable any firewalls that you have on the one computer that is not working to see if that fixes it.

#3 skb2

skb2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

Thanks! I disabled the McAfee firewall, but it still doesn't work. Is there another firewall that might be on?

The one that works is a laptop that can connect wirelessly and wired. The other one is a desktop (wired only).

When I plug the cable into the one that doesn't work, it says "acquiring network address" for a while, and then it says "limited or no connectivity."

#4 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:40 AM

Sure, it is possible that you have another firewall program. There also is the possibility that windows firewall is causing the problem. You can fix that by going into start, control panel, and look for either "windows firewall" or "security" options and disabling the windows firewall. Also, at the bottom-right-hand corner of your screen where the time is, you can hold your mouse over each of the icons that are there and read what is says. Look for something like "ZoneAlarm", "Norton", "Symantec" or anything that has "security" in it.

I assume these are both working off of the same router, right? If that is the case, try plugging your computer into a different port on the back of your router.

#5 skb2

skb2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:44 PM

I disabled the windows firewall, but it still won't work. The only other things related to security are Spybot and Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal. Should I uninstall those? I don't think they have a firewall.

We just got a new modem for the phone, but no wireless router yet. But in either our old modem/router or the new phone modem, I only see one ethernet port...?

#6 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:34 PM

Perhaps this is the problem? How are you attemtping to connect two computers to an internet modem if you do not have a router? Does the modem not just have the ability to physically plug in one computer and nothing wireless? Or is it one of the combo modem/routers?

#7 skb2

skb2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:51 AM

Previously, we had a modem/router combination, and the desktop was physically plugged in and the laptop was wireless. That worked fine for about a year, but then it just stopped working. We recently got a new modem so we could have a phone line attached (without a router). We haven't got a separate wireless router yet. The laptop works fine when it is physically plugged in to the new modem, but the desktop still doesn't work with this new modem.

#8 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

Okay, let's see what happens when the desktop is plugged directly to the modem. When it is plugged in, let's take a look and see what IP address you are getting. As I do not know which operating system you are using, I will give instructions for Win XP.

Click on "Start" then "Control Panel". If it says "Switch to Classic View" at the top-left then click that, otherwise leave it alone. Double-click on "Network Connections" and find your "Local Area Connection". Make sure there is no "!", "?" or "X" symbol with this icon. Right-click "Local Area Connection" and choose "Status". At the top, select the "support" tab, and check to see what it is showing beside "IP address".

#9 skb2

skb2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

The icon has a ! symbol. There is a ! symbol with the icon, and under support it says limited or no connectivity. I tried to click repair, but it wasn't able to fix it.

#10 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

Looks like you may need to reinstall the drivers for your network card. Do you happen to know if you have the disc when you bought the card, or if it came with the computer you might have received one from the manufacturer.

#11 skb2

skb2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

I suppose the network card came with the computer because I did not buy one, but I cannot find a disk from the manufacturer. I don't think there was one, but I could be wrong. Is there a way to get it from the internet? Without connecting to the internet from that computer? :-(
Thanks so much for all the help.

#12 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

Sure, if you are able to get a copy from another computer connected to the internet. You could put it onto a USB drive or burn it to a CD or something like that.

Regarding how to find the right drivers, perhaps someone else could aid you with that as I am not the most experienced with finding out which ethernet card you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users