Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitoring My Network Traffic.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 infected-boy

infected-boy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:03 PM

Hey.

I have 3 stations on my home network. Two desktops and a laptop, which belong to my son and my daughter. I am trusting them with their private internet usage but I would also like to know if there is any way in which I can detect which sites are being requested (I am the admin) over my home network.

I am particularly wanting to know about P2P traffic. I do not want them slowing up everyones connection with P2P traffic, yet asking them is no use as they will simply deny it.

Can it be done? I'm using a belkin router if that helps.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 infected-boy

infected-boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:23 PM

Any ideas?

#3 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:46 PM

You have a few options here. There are a few flavors of P2P - 1 is the Limewire type. A single program where the user would search for a download and manage a download. Get rid of them. If you are the admin on your netowrk, uninstall these as there is no great way to block this traffic through a home router. The other is the torrent. Generally, you would go to a website to search for a torrent, download the torrent and then use a program like 'Bittorent' to manage the p2p download. If you can find out what websites they use to get these torrents you can potentially block those sites through your router.

I've not dealt with Belkin routers directly, but I assume they are like most home routers. Check to see if there is a logging function w/in the router. It should tell you what sites are being visited and potentially what traffic is going across it. Keep in mind, home routers won't store a large history, so this should probably be checked daily. From the sites listed, you can do some research to find out if they are file sharing sites.

Another solution would be a program like NetNanny. This will allow you control content on your kids PCs.

If you dont mind them sharing files P2P just tweak the settings to limit upload and downloads to a certain amount.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users