Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Av And Firewall For Slow Computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

Ok, I have another computer, which is a really slow and old Windows 2000. Which antivirus and firewall are suggested for this computer? I'm looking for one that has a simple interface and does not take that much of the resources. It does not have to have the best rating in searching for viruses or getting updates, I just need one that will be suitable for a slow computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:50 PM

There is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. We can make suggestions, you can install a program, then find out the program makes your computer run even slower.
You just have to find one that plays nice with your system.

For a firewall, Comodo has a free version for Windows 2000. The reason I know this is because when I installed Comodo on my new computer last month, Comodo interface was different than it was on my other computer. Yesterday I did some checking and searching-found out I had installed Comodo for 2000 AND XP instead of the version for XP and Vista. I now have the XP/Vista version.

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/dow...d_firewall.html

Click the Version 2.4 (for Win 2000 users) tab.

edited to correct a spelling typo

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 August 2008 - 09:39 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:28 AM

Try Avira Antivir Personal (free). It uses limited resources, but the drawback is that it doesn't scan E-mails.
Sygate is also a low-resource firewall.

Links to both may be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Computers are like snowflakes: no two are exactly alike. You may need to try various applications and combination to find the one that works best for you, so keep the link bookmarked.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users