Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Starts A Bit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrg11545

mrg11545

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

I currently have vista running on my Dell machine, but when it starts it gets all the way to the Vista icon glowing before giving me a complete black screen. It starts in safe mode and allows me to go into setup. Any idea's how to fix this please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:04 AM

Most commonly this is caused by corrupted drivers - with video drivers being the most common reason for that. You should be able to install an updated version in Safe Mode (depending on the manufacturer of the driver). If it won't install, then you'll have to uninstall the driver software (and the driver in Safe Mode) in order to boot into normal mode and then install the driver.

Another frequent cause of this problem is a corruption of certain sections of the hard drive (or a dying hard drive). So, the other thing to do would be to run the "Repair the Computer" thing that presents on top of the Safe Mode choice in most systems - and then select Startup Repair. If this choice isn't available, you'll have to boot from a Vista DVD to access it. More information on this process is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

If both of the above procedures don't fix the error, then I'd recommend a bootable hard drive diagnostic (usually available for free from the manufacturer of your hard drive). A list of the more common one's is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Edited by usasma, 26 August 2008 - 06:06 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mrg11545

mrg11545
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

I uninstalled the Video Driver and the computer started ok but it seems that when i go to reinstall the video driver i get the same problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users