Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Computer Locks Up Right After Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Monica7736

Monica7736

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

I am trying to help a friend of mine with her computer. Once the computer boots up into normal mode, it locks up. I can move the mouse pointer, but the computer will not respond to mouse clicks or the keyboard.

It is a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home SP2
Processor is Celeron 2.60GHz
1 GB of RAM

Here's what I have done so far to no avail:
  • Started up in safe mode, logged in as administrator.
  • Disabled fast user switching
  • updated her Symantec and ran several scans. about 40 items were found and quarantined, I deleted them from quarantine. Mostly they were hotbar type files but a couple of trojans which I neglected to note the name of
  • ran Regseeker and cleaned out about 800 items from the registry (I did back up the registry before I deleted those entries)
  • uninstalled programs that were adware and used the uninstall list from this site to help me
When I try to login as Administrator under normal mode I get a message
"Unable to log you on because of an account restriction"

Note: her user account is set up as an Administrator
I try logging in under her user name and the system still locks up as soon as it is done booting and loading all the services (I think). Once, not all the desktop icons finished loading their images before it locked up.

I am baffled! I thought once I cleaned out viruses and spyware and unwanted programs that it would start working ok.

Not sure what to do next. Maybe a driver is corrupted? Not sure how to proceed, any help would be appreciated! :thumbsup:
Stand up for your principles, even if you stand alone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 derdani

derdani

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

Look at the device manager

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:17 PM

Have you tried logging on any other administrator accounts?

It could have been a virus or trojan that has corrupted that account to no longer any use.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

Assuming that it's not a hardware/malware problem...I'd just take 30 minutes to do a repair install of XP.

Hard to say what might be missing or malperforming, even if you have run sfc /scannow.

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

Can you log in in Safe Mode? Can you access the Internet if you log in using Safe Mode with Networking?

Most symptoms of this type are due to the malware taking over registry keys (and denying you access to them). Here's a link to a registry tool that may help to remove the restrictions that were set in the registry: http://majorgeeks.com/RRT_Remove_Restricti...Tool_d5635.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Monica7736

Monica7736
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

Yes, I can log in in safe mode and am able to get on the internet using safe mode with networking.

I will check out that link. thank you!!
Stand up for your principles, even if you stand alone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users