It is a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home SP2
Processor is Celeron 2.60GHz
1 GB of RAM
Here's what I have done so far to no avail:
- Started up in safe mode, logged in as administrator.
- Disabled fast user switching
- updated her Symantec and ran several scans. about 40 items were found and quarantined, I deleted them from quarantine. Mostly they were hotbar type files but a couple of trojans which I neglected to note the name of
- ran Regseeker and cleaned out about 800 items from the registry (I did back up the registry before I deleted those entries)
- uninstalled programs that were adware and used the uninstall list from this site to help me
"Unable to log you on because of an account restriction"
Note: her user account is set up as an Administrator
I try logging in under her user name and the system still locks up as soon as it is done booting and loading all the services (I think). Once, not all the desktop icons finished loading their images before it locked up.
I am baffled! I thought once I cleaned out viruses and spyware and unwanted programs that it would start working ok.
Not sure what to do next. Maybe a driver is corrupted? Not sure how to proceed, any help would be appreciated!