Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers Won't Connect To Internet

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ohsosmooth75

ohsosmooth75

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

This forum has always been a big help in the past and I hope it can bail me out once again.

I am running windows XP but I can no longer connnect to the internet through my browsers. I have Explorer and Firefox and neither one works. I get my access through Comcast and the guy that came out to check my computer says everything is fine with the line but I have no DNS access despite getting a valid IP address. He thinks that my computer might have had a power failure while installing an automatic update. That would cause something to get out of whack which is now causing it to block the access. I removed Mcafee, windows defender, Spybot, and any other program that I thought might be blocking the access but still no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas that might work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hi ohsosmooth75,

Have you tried a ping test to see if you are able to send any traffic through at all? Or, at minimum, have you been able to get any online program to work like email or a chat program?

If you have not had any success, try going into a command prompt and pinging out to see what happens. To to do this, click on "start", then "run" and enter in the letters "cmd" before clicking "OK".

This will load up a black screen, known as a command prompt (or DOS prompt). Please type in the following command:

ping www.google.com

and then hit "enter". This will try to communicate with an outside server. It will just be helpful to see whether or not you are able to send any data at all. It will try to ping out 4 times. What you want to see is a final line that says something like "Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)".

Finally, you said that you have a valid IP address. Are you using a router by any chance? If you are using a router, make sure your IP address is something to the effect of 192.168.x.x

Edited by Phantek, 25 August 2008 - 11:31 AM.

#3 ohsosmooth75

ohsosmooth75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

Hey Phantek thanks for your reply!

No when I ping a website it tells me it cannot find the host. Comcast assures me it's something in my computer and not my modem or the connection with them. Also I am not using any sort of router.

If you have any advice on how to fix this I would appreciate it!

#4 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:32 PM

Okay, if we are sure the issue is with the computer then it is something software or hardware related. Ususally this is related to a firewall that is blocking all traffic. I just want to confirm, you do not have a 169.x.x.x IP address, do you?

Does this computer have a wireless card? If so, go to the control panel, network connections, and right-click any "wireless" option to select "disable". If you have wireless, Windows often defaults to this even though it has a good wired connection.

Another possibility is that you may need to rebind the TCP/IP. To do this, go into your control panel, network connections, right-click on "Local Area Connection" and choose "Properties". Find "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and remove the check-mark beside it before clicking okay. Then go back into properties and re-add the check-mark. Try again and see if this has helped.

#5 ohsosmooth75

ohsosmooth75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

I checked my IP address and it doesn't start with a 169. It's a 98.x.x.x if that helps any.

My computer doesn't have a wireless card so that can't be the problem I don't think.

I tried rebinding the TCP/IP like you suggested but that didn't help.

I'm open to any other suggestions you might have and I'm willing to try anything!

#6 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:52 PM

Okay, and you are absolutely sure that you do not have any other firewall programs? No ZoneAlarm, Norton, Symantec, etc?

Let's just verify no hard-coded IP or DNS. Go to Start, Control Panel, Network Connections, and make sure there is no "X" or "!" symbol on your Local Area Connection. If there is none, right-click the Local Area Connection and choose "Properties". Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the "Properties" button. Make sure that you have selected "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

If that does not work, try and ping out to an IP address and let's see if that works. For example, try pinging 64.233.167.99 (a google.com IP address).

Edited by Phantek, 27 August 2008 - 03:53 PM.

#7 ohsosmooth75

ohsosmooth75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

I verified that there is no hard-coded IP or DNS. When I ping out to an IP address it comes back just fine. Four successful tries. It just doesn't work when I try and ping to a website by name.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

Try this:

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Then repeat the above and type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 ohsosmooth75

ohsosmooth75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

Hey Budapest thanks for you reply. I tried both of those things and the browsers still won't connect to the internet.

#10 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

Click Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: ipconfig /all
Locate the line - DNS Servers . . .
Are there any IP addesses listed? (should be 2)

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#11 ohsosmooth75

ohsosmooth75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

Hey Raw there are actually three listed.

#12 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

Those are indeed Comcrap DNS servers.
Next step: Open "My Computer"
Browse to - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
Open the file - "HOSTS"
Post what you see after the last comment line:

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

Should be something here.

This next issue affected ZoneAlarm users, but since it is a DNS update it
may not have installed correctly. Removing it temporarily will help with troubleshooting.
Open Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Tick the box labeled "Show Updates"
Scroll down the list and locate: "Microsoft Update KB951748"
Click "Remove" then reboot. Test your browser.

If you still can't browse:
I want you to reset the winsock and tcp stack again. Some posters
report success with two or three tries.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

rawsig.png

#13 ohsosmooth75

ohsosmooth75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:08 PM

Lots of good news Raw!

I deleated the Update KB951748. That must have fixed a big problem cause now I can now connect to the internet with explorer. However, everytime I try to open Modzilla it immediately crashes. But thanks to your help I have taken a huge step forward. Any thoughts on how to fix the firefox problem?

#14 ohsosmooth75

ohsosmooth75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:39 PM

Actually I reinstalled Firefox and now we're good to go. I know I still have some issues on my computer because I'm having trouble reinstalling my old firewall programs. But you guys got me back online which was the hard part.

Thank you Budapest, Phantek, and Raw for all your help!

#15 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:33 PM

Happy Day :thumbsup:
Glad I could help. If you have any more problems
do not hesitate to post.

rawsig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users