Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Find Wireless Networks

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:31 AM

Hi All,

I am trying to sort my friends laptop.Installed a XP SP3. The card is "Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG" and the issues are

1) First when the computer starts I cant see the network connections is empty.I have to go to service and start the "network connections" which is set to automatic.Same with the "wireless zero configuration"

2)After that it cant find the wireless within range. I have checked the properties of it. Everything looks ok to me. The TCP/IP is set assign IP automatic. The properties of the wireless card "wireless mode" is set to "802.11b and 802.11g"

3) I have added the SSID of my home manually to check if it works, but still no joy.

4) I cant disable the network wireless card.

5) I have to start the "security center" service manually.

6) Many of the drivers didnt install properly.In the device manager, "other devices" there is yellow question and the items in that are

1) Audio device on high definition Audio bus
2) Ethernet controller
3) Video Controller
4) Video controller(VGA Compatible)

Are these affecting the performance of wireless card.

Can somebody help me in solving this issue :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Sreez

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

Does anybody got some idea about this issue :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Sreez

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#3 Axegrinder

Axegrinder

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

Basiclly the yellow "?" does mean that there are no drivers installed for that device, try uninstalling the WiFi card, then reinstalling the drivers for it.

HTH

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:22 PM

Well lets get rid of some issues.

Go to the manufacturers site and download the appropriate driver for the VGA Controller or else you will not be able to use it for any video work pretty much what so ever.

Down to the wireless internet you will ALSO have to download the appropriate drivers for the Ethernet Controller as its basically "The thing that makes internet work."
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:23 AM

Thanks for replies.

I went to the dell website and download many drivers from there. But that didnt help, I did IntelPro/wireless that didnt load any Intel program as it struck while running. I downloaded intel drivers and it was fine.

I downloaded Intel video driver as well.But there was problem. Conexant modem driver as well, that was fine.

But I will download everything and will see if anything works.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:06 AM

Item 6 is the most significant part of your post - the Ethernet Controller is likely to be your wireless card (and the drivers aren't installed). The next step would be to right click on the Ethernet Controller and select "Properties". Then, select the Details tab. Then, check the dropdown box and select "Hardware ID".

There will be a bunch of characters there. Look for the 4 characters following the VEN_ and for the 4 characters following the DEV_
Post back with them and we should be able to identify your device from http://www.pcidatabase.com

Also post back with the exact make and model of your laptop. I presume it was purchased in the UK, so we'll have to check the UK sites for the driver.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

Hi mate,

My manufacturer is dell and model is Inspiron 630M. I did find the 4 Characters you asked and the Ethernet Controller belongs to Broadcom and the Video Controller is Intel 915GM/910GML.But I have already installed the drivers given on the dell webiste. And I mentioned before the Intel wireless card 2200BG, I have installed drivers for it as well.But the program to makes Intel to control wireless didnt run. I dont know the reason.

Can you tell me excatly which one more should I download. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Sreez

#8 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

Should I go for reinstalling SP2 . Will that help. :thumbsup:

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:13 PM

Please post back with the characters that followed the VEN_ and the DEV_ only for the unknown device.
Is the wireless function key set to on? (does the wireless icon light show up above the keyboard when you press Fn and F2?)

Here's a link to a PDF file for your model: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...d_documentation
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:29 PM

Hi Usama,

I installed the ethernet controller now. The LAN card i cant see in the network connections. But the problem is that it cant IP even after connection with the cables as well. I checked the properties of it and they were fine.

Coming to other devices, the first is Audio Device the characters is 8384 and 7690
Video controller is 8086 and 2792
Video Controller(VGA compatible) 8086 and 2592

Hope you solution then.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

Try creating a new connection in the Network Connections applet.

I'm going to move this over to the Networking forum where you can get some more expert advice.

#12 Rayvn

Rayvn

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

First of all make sure that something called NDSIC (or something very similar) is enabled to start automatically. Wireless Zero Configuration lists this as a depency, but it is not in services. Go to Device Manager, and in the menu, Show hidden devices. Under Non Plug and Play devices, if this is listed, it needs to be at Automatic or earlier. You should not need to manually start WZC service anymore, however you will still have to maually set the wireless network settings if they dont stick.

You may need to use "integrated controller" devices for you wireless service instead of the ones that look like they would be used for it such as devices labeled LAN or WAN. Dell's website is up to date with the correct drivers, and I got a few there for my HP, so those should be correct.

Remember you wil lneed to restart after changing any drivers, did you ever try rolling back his driver either as he may have "updated" it incorrectly?

The Microsoft website can actually tell you how to fix an empty netowrk connections folder, specifically in relation to SP3. Google "Network connections" with quotes, and add the word "Microsoft".

If you cannot find the correct driver for a device, try looking at "Details" in properties, and google the 4 characters you see after "DEV". Occassionally this prduces multiple results in which case add the manufacturer;s name (dell intel etc.) to the search.

#13 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

The situation is getting worse mate. Ok I found how to start the NDISprotocol but its not in service I started it using command netstart ndisprot . The next point which I discovered is when I click on dependencies in wireless zero config it says "The RPC server is unavailable."

I already installed "Integrated controller" actually thats when I could see my LAN card in laptop.

Well I cant even disable or enable network connections. I think there are many issues apart from just network connections. I google SP3 with network connections. The gave a hotfix to download, even that didnt give me any joy as after installing hotfix, and enabling this NDISprot I had to manually go to services and start the network to get the devices.

So I dont know where I stand now.:thumbsup: Im thinking to reinstall SP2 on the laptop. I m sure that might solve issues. But I have other same laptop and Installed SP3 recently and everything went fine with that one may be because I installed at my office where all the drivers are preloaded on our RIS.

Thanks for suggestions guys

Edited by sreez, 29 August 2008 - 02:59 PM.

#14 Rayvn

Rayvn

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

As I said it's not supposed to be in services, apparently. It is in device manager under Non Plug and Play devices. I don't know if your command does the same thing or not, maybe you shoould set it there too just in case. It also sounds like even if it is the exact same thing, it is not set to automatic, but rather started for this one session only. (Did you start WZC after starting this, as well?)

My mistake about 'Integrated Controller'; "Integrated Controller" on my computer is the one that DOESN'T connect... you need the drivers for the one labeled 'WLAN,' if you have such a device.

You said Ethernet Controller has a yellow question mark... uh yeah you need that!!

If all of the devices you listed have yellow question marks, that means there are pretty much no drivers installed at all. FInd a device that says "Chipset" and Google it for the "Chipset" download... this should give you basic drivers for all your devices, and you can look for updates individually from there if nessecary.

Do you know how to find the PCI ID?

The site I was telling you to look up did not, I think, include a hotfix. I will Google it and edit with the link. I think it says to uninstall/re-install drivers... but as I said I do not think your friend has any drivers installed at all.

Please tell me the model of computer, and is this the exact same hardware that came with the computer when it was bought? (Has anyone ever taken this computer physically apart and added something, or not?)

Also it is general forum posting rules, do not double-post, so that means when you post a question you cannot post again to say, "Someone please answer my question."

Dell Inspiron Laptop 640m default chipset for UK is here.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=149851

However, you said your chipset was a 915 on at least one device, and the default chipset for this model in the UK is a 945. Are you in the UK, or another country?

You did not list your operating system version. Downloads for the UK 915 GML is here

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Fi...31&lang=eng

UK Intel 910GML is here.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Fi...31&lang=eng

One of your devices should be able to give you a clear answer... somehow. The devices with yellow question marks will still list a device ID. Select "Hardware ID" rather then "Device Instance ID" for easier viewing.

To figure out exactly which drivers you are supposed to be installing, download from here and select "run" as many times as you need to. A box wil pop up telling you which chipset you have and nothing will be saved to your computer.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download.a...31&lang=eng

Edited by Rayvn, 29 August 2008 - 09:33 PM.

#15 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:21 AM

First many thanks for reply.

My bad in not following what you said. Now I checked the NDIS system driver properties and it is started, start up type boot. I couldnt find any devices in the network connections even after that. So I have to start service "network connections" and "wireless zero config" again.

My ethernet controller is fine as I have installed broadcom drivers from dell website.http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS_M140&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

One good news is that now I have no only one mark related "Audio Device on high definition Audio Bus" .The display drivers are back after installing the Intel Chipset drivers from the link which you gave.

I already said before the model is dell Inspiron 630m and OS XP version 2002 SP3(Which I installed recently).

Now I have different problem added to existing one is that I need to start network services manually. Both are disabled. After that When I enable the LAN connection 2 and wireless network both,It says " connection failed "It is not possible to connect at thes.No nnetwork detected.You may need to plug the cable." When I connect the cable nothing happens to LAN. Actaully this happen one time.

Again when I restart computer sometimes , After starting service network connections , Both will be enabled and I can right click wireless and view available networks but still my home network is not available in that. In this case When I connect cable to LAN still no response from it.

And one more thing what is RPC is server unavailable I get this when I use command Ipconfig/renew. I have googled to enable it. http://www.microforge.net/kb/39. But this didnt work for me as I cant find "group policy object in MMC snap-in.

So any ideas in any of these issues

Edited by sreez, 30 August 2008 - 07:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users