Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Problems - Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 torpe1

torpe1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:20 AM

I am having real problems with my home wireless network, and need some help with diagnostics as I am totally confused by network management. I don't know how to find out if the problem is with the modem, router, settings or the telephone wire service into the house, as there have been occasional problems with the telephone landline.

Until a couple of months ago, all worked well. The network host pc is a desktop running XP Pro. The ISP is T Com Hungary, and they gave me a Huawei MT800u-T SmartAX ADSL modem. The router is a Linksys WRT54G.

Basically, the host PC is normally always connected, but the laptops over the WLAN keep on dropping the connection. Now, the Host connection goes up and down. Sometimes, I get a window asking me to re-connect to ADSL, but often there is internet connection when ADSL staus is 'disconnected' in network connections panel.

I am at a complete loss as to where the problem lies. Trial and error fixes sometimes work (IE re-setting modem and router + re-boots), but the problem is so frequent and frustrating now that I really need expert help checking the settings and diagnostics. The ISP helpdesk is no good, as their english is limited, and they always say that this is a problem with the router, but I am not knowledgeable enough to verify this.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

Hi torpe1,

I can understand your frustration with this - wireless problems can be very difficult to track down.

My primary concern is your statement that "the host PC is normally always connected". I just want to confirm, does it sometimes lose its connection, or is it just that you sometimes turn it off?

As long as at least one computer is working without difficulty, the problem basically is not with the internet service provider as it would be the router that divides the internet connection to the multiple computers. As long as one is working, that means that the router is getting a connection.

If I understand correctly, it seems that your problem lies with the wireless computers losing their connection. If this is the case, I first would recommend that you check for anything that could be disturbing your internet signal. For example, do you have any other electronics right near your wireless router? A very common problem is a cordless phone receiver sitting right beside the wireless router, as this would most certainly interfere with it. Additionally, do you have any cordless phones at all in the house? If you have any that are 2.4 Mhz as this is the same frequency as your wireless router and could cause interference. Try unplugging any of these cordless phones and try your wireless connection again.

How far away from the wireless router are your computers? The range of a wireless router varies a great deal depending on the brand, and the construction of your home. If you need the signal to go through more than one floor or through a couple of rooms, for example, you are likely going to experience problems.

Finally, there is the possibility that a neighbour's wireless network or cordless phone is interfereing. This is more difficult to troubleshoot, for obvious reasons. You can always try logging into your router and see if you can change the channel that the router is on. If you are able to, there are often 11 settings you can use. Try channels 1, 6, or 11 as these channels have no overlap with each other.

I hope this helps - please let us know if your problem is different from my assumption.

#3 torpe1

torpe1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:55 PM

Hi Phantek

Thanks for this response, and apologies for my lack of nouse with this subject. In fact, our landline hardware is a wireless Panasonic phone which is located close to the router - I will move it immediately, although I do not think this is the prime issue.

Until recently, the wirelessly connected laptops (2) were the units losing the connection intermittently, while the host remained connected via wired connection via modem and router. However, this week, the host has been dropping, too, and this is the garve concern as we need internet for business. As I mentioned, we have had problems with the telephone, which made me think it was an external connection problem, as everything used to work perfectly with the WLAN until a couple of months ago.

I have now tracked down the event viewer, and can copy a couple of the error and warning logs which conince me that I am out of my depth on this one. For example, within the last hour, I tried a call on skype while I had a connection, which then dropped once the call began. These are the logs around that time:

"The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{2C4D8E28-6D0A-4012-AD89-9613A7F9DED2} because a master browser was stopped.

The connection to ADSL made by user orange2@t-online.hu using device PPPoE6-0 was disconnected.

The DNS proxy agent encountered an error while obtaining the local list of name-resolution servers. Some DNS or WINS servers may be inaccessible to clients on the local network. The data is the error code.

The DNS proxy agent encountered an error while obtaining the local list of name-resolution servers. Some DNS or WINS servers may be inaccessible to clients on the local network. The data is the error code.

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet for hp: Driver initialized successfully.

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet for hp: Network controller configured for 100Mb full-duplex link.

The user orange2@t-online.hu successfully established a connection to ADSL using the device PPPoE6-0.

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{2C4D8E28-6D0A-4012-AD89-9613A7F9DED2} because a master browser was stopped.

The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of name-resolution servers from the registry. The data is the error code.

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts."

These logs are chronological. After the last one, I re-booted, and have re-connected as normal.

Is this of any help in narrowing down the possible problem area?

#4 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

I think the first thing you should do is verify whether or not it is the phone line that is having problems, or the router. The best way to do that would be to unplug the router, and plug your one wired computer directly to the modem. This way, you can test to see if your wired computer is dropping a connection. If it does drop a connection, try and take note of the lights on your modem as they could indicate a loss of sync with your DSL provider. If the wired computer does not drop at any point when plugged without a router, you can assume the router is the source of your concern and you would want to speak with the manufacturer.

#5 torpe1

torpe1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:31 AM

OK, I am now running the wired Host PC on the modem, router disconnected.

The connection has dropped again, and the log shows this

"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts."

Can you interpret this, and advise how to fix if you think this is the root cause?

#6 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:53 AM

Are you using bittorrent on your computer by any chance? I just did a quick check with Google and it looks like this is a common problem for bittorrent users who are hosting files.

#7 torpe1

torpe1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

Not using bittorrent.

However, I have been researching further around this, and I do have Kservice.exe installed. This is a P2P application from Kontiki, installed with the BBC iPlayer and other UK TV channel streaming players. I think it may work in the same way as bittorrent??

I only use the TV apps for streaming, not downloading, but BBC forums show that this thing automatically loads and runs in the background.

Could this be it?

One other basic question - I have now re-installed the router and all working fine on the LAN. I have stopped Kservice.exe, and will monitor to see if this helps. However, re basic set-up, should I select "Automatically detect settings" under LAN settings? At the moment, it is unchecked.

Edited by torpe1, 26 August 2008 - 10:00 AM.

#8 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:23 PM

Normally you would automatically detect the settings, but it can depend on the router. If it's working fine without that, don't fix it.

Yes, that BBC program may very well be the issue. If more than a certain number of computers try to connect with you at once using the P2P program, Windows tends not to like it and shuts it down as it suspects a virus is involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users