Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Construction And Cleaning Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EEclips3

EEclips3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

Well you know I wouldn't come to you guys bugging you with silly solutions to easily solved questions, but google has failed me several times now and quite frankly. . . I'm bored with it :thumbsup:

I was installing some new ram memory when i came across a troublesome problem. My fan is coated with a centimeter of dust! Not only that the interior under the first panel of the fan on top of the mobo has literally an inch of dust lining it as well. The thing is there is a contraption holding it in place preventing me from removing the under layer after removing the fan. Looks like a clip from a tool box of some sort. Anyways here is probably what you'll need to know to help me a little further.

Emachine mode name W3107
Standard Desktop Tower
2 Fans the one I'm not talking about is facing the back of the computer.

Also I'd like to know if its safe to just hose down everything inside the computer with duster spray :flowers: I'm cleaning fans thoroughly with soft tooth brush.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:21 AM

Check out this Bleeping Computer tutorial.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 EEclips3

EEclips3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:33 AM

Wow that helped alot thanks m8 :thumbsup: I just got a greater understanding in computer cleaning. But the real question is how do I clean that silver layer under and after I take the top fan off and unplug it from the mobo? The CPU fan and heatsink.

Edited by EEclips3, 25 August 2008 - 01:33 AM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:39 AM

I'd try blowing out the dust with a can of compressed air.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:46 AM

If I understand correctly, you removed the fan/heatsink from the processor?
That was not required.
That silver layer under the heatsink is the thermal paste, which is used to increase heat transfer from the processor, to the heatsink.

To clean it off, use rubbing alcohol.
After the old paste is removed, and the heatsink and processor have been cleaned, you will have to re-apply more paste, or run the risk of frying your processor.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 EEclips3

EEclips3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:08 AM

If I understand correctly, you removed the fan/heatsink from the processor?
That was not required.
That silver layer under the heatsink is the thermal paste, which is used to increase heat transfer from the processor, to the heatsink.

To clean it off, use rubbing alcohol.
After the old paste is removed, and the heatsink and processor have been cleaned, you will have to re-apply more paste, or run the risk of frying your processor.

No I haven't done anything to it yet I just needed a professional opinion on what I should do :thumbsup: Thanks for helping btw I've been up all night just staring at drives and wires >.< Basically there is a ton of dust build up on the heatsink and if you seen it you would probably say this needs to be cleaned asap. Could i just air dust the majority away or use a hosed vacuum to get most of it off preserving the paste?

#7 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:18 AM

i would be afraid of static with a vaccuum. But if its what you want to do go for it.

#8 EEclips3

EEclips3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:50 AM

i would be afraid of static with a vaccuum. But if its what you want to do go for it.

Won't be touching the computer while vacuuming, Using a vacuum to suck up excess dust/dirt is very common. Thanks for looking out though :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users