Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Want To Install Without Cd, But....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition. It's basically impossible to get a reinstall disk. I've read that there are ways to reinstall XP without it, by booting from bootable CD (I have one) and running the WINNT.EXE or WINNT32.EXE from the i386 folder.

My Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop has many i386 folders, but only two have WINNT32.EXE, and those are NOT subfolders of C:\WINDOWS.

There is a series of folders called C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\<four-digit number starting at 0000>\DriverFiles\i386. None of them contain winnt or winnt32.

What I should be looking for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:14 AM

Normally, the i386 folder that you need would be at one of the following locations:

C:\
C:\windows
C:\windows\system32

Other i386 folders are generally backups taken during updates\when apply service packs etc, so don't contain the required setup information.

Much as I'd like to, I can't see an easy way of fixing this one. Did you buy the PC from a shop\online? You might be able to contact them to get a replacement disk, although I'll admit that that's normally the equivalent of extracting blood from stones.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:14 AM

From your first post I am not sure if you have attempted to order free reinstall CD from Dell.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&redirect=1

Also, note the info from the link above:
Additional Drivers and Downloads for your system can be found at http://support.dell.com/support/downloads.

If you are considering an operating system reinstall, please click here for an alternative.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=

Edited by buddy215, 25 August 2008 - 06:00 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

From your first post I am not sure if you have attempted to order free reinstall CD from Dell.

They won't send me one. Something about the age of the machine.

If you are considering an operating system reinstall, please click here for an alternative.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=

When I try that, I still get the "NTLDR is missing" error that started my troubles. I'm going to try restoring the image, and if it still doesn't work I'll try this magic restore.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:31 AM

Lots of info on repairing your problem with the "ntldr is missing" warning in the link below.

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm
QUOTE INFO FROM ABOVE LINK:
If you get the "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart" what's most likely going on is the BIOS either didn't look for the right drive, didn't find the right partition, it wasn't active, didn't find the MBR, or the MBR didn't list NTLDR in the right place, the location of NTLDR changed, or you are looking at a hardware failure situation (memory/cables/drive/motherboard/etc).

The first thing to do is try to change back whatever hardware or software change you just made (this could be as simple as leaving a floppy disk in the drive or you need to reseat the cables). If the contents of the drive are especially important and you have no backups, I would recommend removing the hard drive, placing in an enclosure, and backing up the data first, in fact, backup all of your computers.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users