Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover Hd Files Now On External Hd Enclosure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 P St Croix

P St Croix

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

I have searched forum but not found anythig like my scenario.

I am running Windows XP Home SP3. My 40GB Samsung SP4002H boot drive encountered NTLDR missing. I did some research from another computer and decided that since there were some files on the 40GB drive that I wanted to recover, I should remove the drive. I have been careful not to do anything that would write to the drive.
I tried booting from a Knoppix DVD, hoping that a UNIX O/S would be able to recognize files on the drive for me to retrieve and store elsewhere. No success here – the drive was not mountable.

I have since removed the 40GB Samsung SP4002H and placed it in an external IDE USB connected drive enclosure. I have installed a new 500GB HD and re-installed Windows XP Home SP3 and have a functional system.

I am looking for ideas on how recover files from the drive. With the HD enclosure connected by USB, no drive letter gets assigned but Device Manager identifies it correctly under Disk Drives.

I will buy a product to recover the files if the product can prove that it will do the job before I purchase it. I have done a search for various products – most of them are unable to detect the drive.

Products I have tried include:
Recover My Files appears to show the physical drive with a size of 0MB.
Stellar Phoenix NTFS Recovery 3.0 – shows a Physical drive with a name = [,] and a search of the drive quickly completes without finding any files.

Any other suggestions how to recover files (PST, DOC, XLS, JPG, primarily)?
[color=#FF6600]Pstc[/color]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:53 PM

You could try PC Inspector, which is a freeware data recovery utility.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:35 AM

Try GetDataBack from http://www.runtime.org
It will let you run a test to see what can be recovered - then, if you want, you can pay them for the key to unlock the recovery portion of the program (about $80 US).

But, from what you've been describing, the drive appears to be dead - so recovery will likely fall into the area of a professional data recovery firm (which will be expensive!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 P St Croix

P St Croix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

I tried PC Inspector File Recovery. It recognized the drive as a Physical Drive with size 0.0 MB but not as a Logical Drive.
I tried various products and there is one common thread – they are unable to recognize the drive without the drive being assigned a drive letter by Windows XP.
The drive is in an External HD enclosure and connected by USB. The drive is correctly recognized in Device Manager, but under Computer Management > Disk Management.
The drive used to be my C drive (boot drive) – I don’t know if there is a conflict with the new C drive. Looks like I need to fix the Drive Letter issue before I can attempt file recovery. Odd thing is if I wanted to re-format the drive, I am not even sure if I would be able to do so under Windows XP.
[color=#FF6600]Pstc[/color]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users