Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My Xps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:21 PM

So I want to upgrade my XPS M1710 and I have a few concerns and they are as follows:

1) I would like to upgrade the memory from 2GB to 4GB, but I've read something about Windows not recognizing the whole 4GB? I'm not exactly sure, but I have a 32-bit Windows Vista. There's also the fear of buying RAM from the store, rather than the Dell website and I'm unsure if it is compatible, Dell systems from my experience are somewhat picky with the hardware.

2) I want to upgrade my graphics card to the 512MB version that came with the more expensive version of the XPS M1710. Unfortunately, the product is discontinued and I can't find it on the Dell website. Are there any other websites that sell parts? Also if I do upgrade, will I have to do anything else to my laptop, or do I just put it in?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

1. In a 32-bit OS, the most ram that can be detected is 3.25gb-3.5gb. You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference having the full 4gb anyway, and I still think it's a good upgrade. Any ram should work as long as it's the right type (DDR or DDR2), and right speed (533mhz, 667mhz, 800mhz, etc.). I really like the website newegg.com for all my computer needs.

2. It is very difficult to upgrade the graphics in a laptop. Some laptops, it's practically impossible. I have seen some Dell laptops that have upgradeable graphics, but they are pretty expensive, and I don't know how difficult to replace. Unless you can find some other retailer that sells Dell graphics card, I don't think you'll be able to replace it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:11 PM

1. In a 32-bit OS, the most ram that can be detected is 3.25gb-3.5gb. You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference having the full 4gb anyway, and I still think it's a good upgrade. Any ram should work as long as it's the right type (DDR or DDR2), and right speed (533mhz, 667mhz, 800mhz, etc.). I really like the website newegg.com for all my computer needs.

2. It is very difficult to upgrade the graphics in a laptop. Some laptops, it's practically impossible. I have seen some Dell laptops that have upgradeable graphics, but they are pretty expensive, and I don't know how difficult to replace. Unless you can find some other retailer that sells Dell graphics card, I don't think you'll be able to replace it.

Thank you for your reply, it seems my graphical crave will end until I muster up enough money to build my own PC.

I found some RAM sticks, that fit my laptop. There's a huge price gap between the two though and it's making me feel uneasy.

http://shop3.frys.com/product/5503990

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1201306785090

Is there any real difference?

Edited by TelMeDragon, 24 August 2008 - 08:35 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users