Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was Infected... Ran Combofix As Per Other Forum

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Paulzie32

Paulzie32

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

HEY all!
I downloaded Limewire and looked for a movie clip. When I downloaded one, and double clicked the zip file, it stated there was an error. So I tried another. Same results.
I then gave up on the silly program and went to Add Remove programs, but before I could get there, Limewire opened on it's own... While it was loading, I took a phone call. When I got back, there were 15 new windows opened! All with different advertisements. I then searched online to see if anyone else encountered this problem with Limewire... and there has been. I found a forum stating it was a trojan (buddy trojan) so I did some searches on removing it. That's when I came upon MajorGeeks.com. Someone with the same problem I had (from the same program) was advised by an admin on that site to follow their directions for removing Malware. So I did the same.

They suggested installing Combofix and following the directions on bleepingcomputer to install and run the program. It states to download the recovery console program from Microsoft (as I don't have the disks) and drag it over the combofix Icon.

I did that and when asked if I wanted to run it now, I selected no and kept reading (on another computer) how to run properly. But the Icon dissappeared!

So, I couldn't double click it to run the program.

I then downloaded it again, dragged the microsoft recovery console over it again and when it asked to run, I selected Yes this time.
Unfortunately, the instructional page shows the image for the Open File - Security Warning... I never saw that. Maybe not a big deal, but the next window was NOT the next one shown on the "how-to-use-combofix" page.

I also never saw the Disclaimer screen shown... but I did see a disclaimer window that popped up. Not the same disclaimer though...
There was no "Backing up registry to C:\qoobox\Hiv-backup" window either.
I DID see the Autoscan window stating the scan could take more than 10 minutes.

There were then about 48 steps, not 41 and my computer rebooted. When it was done rebooting, The AntiVirus and Malware programs were all restarted!!!
The "Find3M" window that shows "Preparing Log Report. Do not run any programs until ComboFix has finished" came up but So did a Norton AntiVirus Malicious script detected window!!!! And I can't "allow" the script as when I went to select the option the windows went blank and were non responsive!

I fixed it by CTRL+ALT+DELETE and hit End Task. When I did that, a new Norton Window opened and I quickly selected "Allow Script Once" before the dropdown window collapsed (not allowing me to select anything other than the recommended Ending of the script).
Once I had done it a few times, it finished the Log and saved it.
Now I suppose I need to post it somewhere to see what anyone thinks.
Shame I didn't find this site first... But I'm here now and my computer seems to be running ok... but I'd like "an expert" to take a look at the log files and tell me if it is.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

I came upon MajorGeeks.com. Someone with the same problem I had (from the same program) was advised by an admin on that site to follow their directions for removing Malware. So I did the same.

You should not be following specific instructions provided to someone else especially if they were given in the HijackThis forum. Those instructions were given under the guidance of a trained staff expert to help fix that particular member's problems, NOT YOURS. Before taking any action, the helper must investigate the nature of the malware issues and then formulate a fix for the victim. Although your problem may be similar, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. and the presence of other malware. Using someone else's fix instructions could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system. It's best that you tell us what specific issues YOU are having rather than point to someone else.

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum. ComboFix logs should not to be posted outside the HijackThis forums and then only when requested by a HJT Team member. However, we may be able to assist you here without a referral to that forum.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Paulzie32

Paulzie32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:08 AM

Hey Quietman7,

I was not following specific instructions for someone else. They provide instructions for Anyone needing to remove Malware.
Here's the first link which is a "Read & Run Me First" page http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
That page has links for the different operating systems. Mine happens to be WindowsXP, so I followed the directions on this link - http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313
If you happened to check both links, you'll see I did what you prescribe, except they suggested "Rename the downloaded mbam-setup.exe file to mb.exe to help work around certain malware that will block it from being run"
They then direct users to follow these directions for running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - "Using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware"
So here's the Log Report from running it via those instructions - Oh.... and this is a Laptop... not sure if that's important or not. It seems to be running ok now.

And Thank you for your help!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.25
Database version: 1081
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

11:33:46 AM 8/24/2008
mbam-log-08-24-2008 (11-33-46).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 42325
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 44 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 6
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 9

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{501cacca-9c23-45e8-92ba-7f42cd4b6917} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{501cacca-9c23-45e8-92ba-7f42cd4b6917} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WR (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IProxyProvider (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Track System (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Host Process (Worm.IRCBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kBin02 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mxdujs.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\paulzie32\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\05M349M3\kb767887[1] (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\paulzie32\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\O6TQMW6G\kb767887[1] (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kBin02\kBin022328.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcrh.tmp (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pac.txt (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\Setup.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\BMeb43acb5.xml (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\BMeb43acb5.txt (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Edited by Paulzie32, 25 August 2008 - 10:09 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

Didn't realize you were following a self-help guide at MG.

Rescan again with MBAM (Quick Scan) in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

There were traces of Worm.IRCBot in your MBAM log. The physical file appears to be gone.

Just so you know, Backdoor Trojans, IRCBots and Infostealers are very dangerous because they provide a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which they send back to the hacker. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge. Read Danger: Remote Access Trojans.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the backdoor Trojan was identified and removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because the backdoor Trojan has been removed the computer is now secure. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"

#5 Paulzie32

Paulzie32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:50 PM

Ouch!!! That sounds bad!

Well, I ran it again but found nothing... 0 found. Still want to see the log?

I clicked the Quarantine tabe and all trojans, malware and Worm.IRCBot are all in there... I'm guessing I should "Delete All". Correct?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

Yes you can delete all.

Then please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to re-enable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.

Edited by quietman7, 26 August 2008 - 07:51 AM.

#7 Paulzie32

Paulzie32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:41 PM

Ok... Ran it and it seems nothing was found.

--------------------------------------------------

SDFix: Version 1.219
Run by Paulzie32 on Wed 08/27/2008 at 04:26 PM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\SDFix

Checking Services :

Restoring Default Security Values
Restoring Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

No Trojan Files Found

------------------------------------------

So, does this mean I'm good to go?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

How is your computer running now? Any more reports/signs of infection?

#9 Paulzie32

Paulzie32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:00 PM

Seems good to go :-)
Could I delete all these Malware programs now or should I leave them all in?

Thanks very much

Paul

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:34 AM

Ok, lets do some cleanup.

Please download OTCleanIt.exe and save to your Desktop.
  • Connect to the Internet and double-click on the file to launch the program.
  • Click on the green CleanUp! button.
  • If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTCleanIt attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • When it has finished, OTCleanIt will ask you to reboot so it can remove itself.
-- Note: Doing this will remove any specialized tools (including this one) downloaded and used. MBAM should be kept on your machine and used on a regular basis.

Then, if there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.

#11 Paulzie32

Paulzie32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

Thanks So much Quietman7. System is running really fast and smooth. I also installed Norton 360.
Can I just follow all the same steps to do all this on my Desktop too? (that was all on my laptop)

Paul

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

Yes, if you have the same infection.

#13 Paulzie32

Paulzie32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:49 PM

no... not same infection... just want to clean it up and make sure there's no malware on it :thumbsup:

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:55 PM

In that case, perform a full system scan with your anti-virus in "Safe Mode.

Then scan with MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

#15 Paulzie32

Paulzie32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hey quietman7,

Which anti-virus? Any in particular?

Also, I decided to run Malwares' Anti-Malware again on my laptop but a Full Scan of the C drive and it found like 34 files... All show under "Items" as
c:\System Volume Information\_restore{D62CA84F-F786-4600-AE5E-DE1A847A28BF}\RP205\A0028305.exe

The RP2 is either RP205,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,17, 22 or 23. Then there's the file name which starts as A0028305 or A0029433 or higher and end in .dll or .exe

The Category is File on all and the Vendor is Trojan.Vundo, Trojan.Downloader, etc. Should I "Remove Selected" on these?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users