Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Not Working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sparhawk77

sparhawk77

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

My System Restore will not create any restore points. Every attempt is met with the error "System Restore was unable to create a restore point. Please restart the computer and try again". The service is running, and I have turned Restore off, rebooted, then turned it back on to no avail. I cannot find any warnings in Event Viewer. I have even re-installed System Restore and run SFC to no avail. I have run different rootkit and anti-virus programs, but cannot find any of either. Does anyone else have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:39 PM

I had similar trouble and my appeal for help resulted in LOTS of advice but nothing worked for me. (A search would find my original posting).

What did work for me was my installing the software Super AntiSpyware Free Edition and discovering by chance that there is a Repair section and listed is a repair of Windows System Restore.

I clicked on this and miraculously (!) my problem was solved.

I now have Super AntiSpyware Professional installed but my problem was solved with the Free Edition. Maybe worth a try?

#3 frazzeld

frazzeld

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

Do you have Norton installed?

#4 sparhawk77

sparhawk77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:46 PM

Reena> Thanks for the advice. I do have SUPERAntiSpyware Pro and tried the repair function. Unfortunately it did not work for me.

Frazzeld> I do not have Norton installed. I do have McAfee installed if it means anything. Thanks for the shot though.

#5 Joe350

Joe350

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hi sparhawk77,
I seem to be having a similar problem, have tried some of the things no luck so far.
Joe350

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

Take a look: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303354

Louis

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

A couple of things to check out:

How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
Troubleshoot System Restore "Restore Point Failures" in Windows XP
How to Reinstall System Restore in Windows XP

Edited by tg1911, 25 August 2008 - 08:41 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 sparhawk77

sparhawk77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

A couple of things to check out:

How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
Troubleshoot System Restore "Restore Point Failures" in Windows XP
How to Reinstall System Restore in Windows XP

tq1911 thank you for the links but I had already found all of those pages and tried all of the steps that they list to no avail. I have been working with XP for a long time, but I have to say this issue has me totally stumped. All of the necessary services are running. No untoward malware is on my drive. Everything that needs to be present is present. Yet I just can't get a Restore Point to create itself. I've searched the registry and can't find any odd items there. I even tried the Repair function from SuperAntiSpyware. It states the repair was completed, but after a reboot it still won't work. The odd thing is I did clean off a rootkit that placed a file called cfmon.exe in my Windows/System32 directory. I am assuming that this was the original reason my Restore points disappeared and why Restore stopped working. The thing is that after re-installing Restore, getting a clean bill of health on my drive from 3 different anti-malware programs, and turning Restore off, rebooting, and then turning it back on again Restore should work. The funny thing is that Windows Update is waiting to install SP3 on my laptop, but I don't want to take the chance until I can at least create a Restore point. Unfortunately because XP was installed on my Dell I would have to call them for support (unless I want to pay Microsoft which is not going to happen). I have found that there technical support is not what you would refer to as top notch. Just for kicks I called them when I was trying to get rid of the rootkit. After the "tech" put me on hold 12 times in the first 9 minutes of the call, and couldn't keep track of all of the steps he wanted me to take, I suggested to him he might want to go for some remedial training, and that I would find the solution on my own. Ah well I guess I will just keep bashing away on this one until I either stumble on the fix or someone here can give me the magical solution.

#9 sparhawk77

sparhawk77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

Take a look: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303354

Louis

hamluis unfortunately the article you quoted was for Windows ME. The registry key that is quoted does not exist in the XP registry. Thank you for the attempt though. Any and all offers are greatly appreciated.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:47 PM

Sorry about that...sometimes the same identified problem in an earlier O/S...will have the same fix. I really did not pay attention to the fact that it was Win Me.

I don't have practical experience with System Restore, preferring to rely on disk images I periodically make.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322246&sd=RMVP

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2008 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users