Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows Cp With A Dell Reinstall Disk

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 jetguer

jetguer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

I don't have a dell computer but I want to know if I can reinstall windows xp with a windows xp reinstall cd that says "for dell pcs only"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

I highly doubt it will work at all
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kae36

kae36

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

Disregarding the licensing problems and the End User Licensing Agreeement (EULA) violations, you might be able to.

I say might because most of the manufacturer's reinstall cd's have built-in drivers that are specific to the hardware used by that manufacturer. Since your hardware is different, it may require additional drivers. Your install may be unable to complete or it may complete, but the missing drivers may not allow some of the hardware to work properly. You would need to get the proper drivers and load them in either during the part of the installation that asks you to load additional drivers, or after installation is complete.

Going back to the licensing and EULA issues, some of those re-install CD's expect particular key codes or license codes to be pulled from data coded into the Programmable Read Only Memory (PROM) that is programmed on a PROM chip located on the motherboard. If the CD expects an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) license code, it may refuse to accept any non-OEM license code.

Not that I'm encouraging you to violate any license agreement or EULA violation, but the install disk will probably have most, if not all, of the standard well known hardware devices. It might work fine, but the only way to tell is to try it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

I think that you might be able to.

Back when various retailers were selling OEM (Dell, in particular) XP CDs dirt cheap...they were being sold as installable on any system.

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:03 PM

It depends on the Dell CD - some are locked to Dell systems.
Also, Ithe EULA will state something to the effect that it's only licensed for that PC.

If you wish to try it, that's on you. We can't offer support tho', as it would violate the EULA.
This topic is closed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users