Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Ran Combofix And Not Sure What's Happening

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paulzie32

Paulzie32

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

Hey... I was following the instructions on another forum for removing malware and installing and running Combofix was part of it. The forum directs users to Bleepingcomputer.com to follow installation and running of combofix. On this site, it instructs to download the recovery console program from Microsoft and drag it over the combofix Icon. I did that and when asked if I wanted to run it now, I said no and kept reading (on another computer) how to run properly. But the Icon dissappeared! So, I couldn't double click it to run the program. I then downloaded it again, dragged the microsoft recovery console over it again and when it asked to run, I said Yes this time. Unfortunately, the instructional page states shows the image for the Open File - Security Warning... I never saw that. Maybe not a big deal, but the next window was NOT the next one shown on the "how-to-use-combofix" page. I also never saw the Disclaimer screen shown... but I did see a disclaimer window that popped up. Not the same disclaimer though...
There was no "Backing up registry to C:\qoobox\Hiv-backup" window either.
I DID see the Autoscan window stating the scan could take more than 10 minutes.

There were then about 48 steps, not 41 and my computer rebooted. When it was done rebooting, The AntiVirus and Malware programs were all restarted!!!
The "Find3M" window that shows "Preparing Log Report. Do not run any programs until ComboFix has finished" came up but So did a Norton AntiVirus Malicious script detected window!!!! And I can't "allow" the script as the windows are blank and non responsive! There even seems to be another Norton window under it with another warning!

WHAT SHOULD I DO?????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:05 PM

I cannot help you with your Combofix issues, that has to be done by someone with more knowledge about it.

What I can do is tell you this:

In the Combofix tutorial, second paragraph is this warning-

"Due to the power of this tool it is strongly advised that you do not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by ComboFix without supervision from someone who has been properly trained. If you do so, it may lead to problems with the normal functionality of your computer."

I'm sorry you are having issues with Combofix, someone else should be along to help you work through them.

#3 Paulzie32

Paulzie32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

Thanks... But I fixed it by CTRL+ALT+DELETE and hit End Task. When I did that, a new Norton Window opened and I quickly selected "Allow Script Once" before the dropdown window collapsed (not allowing me to select anything other than the recommended Ending of the script). Once I had done it a few times, it finished the Log and saved it. Now I suppose I need to post it somewhere to see what anyone thinks.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:15 PM

ComboFix logs should not to be posted outside the HijackThis forums and then only when requested by a HJT Team member. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Please create a new topic explaining the nature of your problem in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. Describe pop-ups and system tray or desktop icons that have appeared. Explain what is "going wrong" with your computer. Note any tools you have used and their respective results.

If needed, we will direct you to our HJT Preparation Guide.

Thank you for using BleepingComputer as your malware removal source.