Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Updates Location On C; Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cottage

cottage

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:14 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm running XP SP2 Home Edition,

My automatic updates are set to "download but do not install.

After the the automatic updates are downloaded from MS, where are they stored on the C: drive to await installation instructions?, and, should I wish, can I delete them from this location instead of installing them?.

Regards,

cottage

Edited by garmanma, 24 August 2008 - 03:42 PM.
moved to appropiate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

I don't know why this is in the 98-Me category since you say you're running XP Home. Anyhow, I think you can delete them, but they'll probably come up on your next auto scan for Windows Update.

What you need to do then, is change to manual updating (or just go to Windows Update manually to scan for them again right after deleting the files) and when they show up in the list, click the + sign by the ones you don't want. You will then see an option to hide them from further update notifications. I think that should prevent them from downloading again. If you decide you want any of them in the future, you can go to your hidden updates and reverse the procedure to show them again.

#3 cottage

cottage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:16 AM

Hi Mommabear,

Thanks for the reply; guilty as charged, I put it in the wrong section, yesterday for me, was "one of those days"

On reflection I think perhaps I should give a little more detail.

I normally have my automatic updates on "download but dont install" so I can monitor what is being offered. Last week the latest SP3 was download to the computer by MS, but, because of the problems being caused by the latest SP3 download, and my computer being one of the potential victims (eg Asus motherboard +AMD dual core processor) I do not want to install this download or leave the computer in a position where my wife or grandchildren etc. could accidentally install.

The present situation is:- The SP3 has been automatically downloaded (but not installed) and is lurking waiting for someone to accidentally click the install button. What I am wanting to do is remove the SP3 instead of installing it, then set the updates to manual until such time as MS finds a patch to cure the problem.

Had the potential SP3 problems been of a minor nature, I would have installed and then deleted using add & remove, but the potential problems for this one are "big time", refusing to boot, crashes, blue screen, no safe mode available, lock-outs etc. etc. usually terminating in a reformat; (spoils your whole day)

And now to the original question but phrased in a slightly different way :-

I am wanting to delete the MS SP3 download instead of installing it; Where on the C: drive do I find the SP3 download so that I can manually delete it? Hope this make things a little clearer,

sincere regards,

cottage

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:12 PM

I think it might be here.

C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Download

But other people have said it's here:

C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate
You will have to unhide hidden folders to see this.

If the file doesn't actually say SP3 something-or-other, the KB # is KB963929.

Edited by mommabear, 25 August 2008 - 12:21 PM.

#5 cottage

cottage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:06 AM

Hi Mommabear,

KB963929 Located on C:\windows\Software Distribution\Downloads.

Job done.

Sincere thanks for your help.

cottage

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

You are quite welcome. Glad I could help.
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users