Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Messenger Plus Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 snoopinc

snoopinc

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:30 AM

After my sister installed messenger plus for windows live when i found out i uninstalled it because i thought it contained some form of malware bundled with it. I have ran a comodo system scan, avast scan, hijackthis scan and a spybot sd scan. All i found was the registry key of messenger plus still in my system. I deleted that registry key. Nothing else like malware was found.

I would like to know more information on this program.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

http://www.msgpluslive.net/features/

Here you go, detailed info. Read the last section carefully, as it mentions an optional install
and sometimes people don't take the time to look at the optional screens closely. They keep hitting next and only afterward find out a toolbar or something they don't want gets installed.

I have no experience with this program, but whatever features it adds are similar to what MSN messenger has anyway.
The program is not an Microsoft/MSN program.

#3 snoopinc

snoopinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

I'm not 100% sure what my sister clicked when she was installing it as i wasn't there at the time. My HJT log has no suspicious entries.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:00 PM

Messenger Plus is an add-on for Microsoft's messaging programs Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger but it is not written by Microsoft. Although the program adds features to MSN Messenger, it comes bundled with an optional Sponsor Program provided by C2Media that adds a trojan infection commonly known as lop.com during its installation. There has been a problem since Messenger Plus! first started including the Sponsor Program with users installing it without understanding what the Sponsor Program is, what it does to a user's system, or the privacy implications involved.

Read:
Messenger Plus! Live 4.10 has been released
Messenger Plus! page 1
Messenger Plus! page 2
The Sponsor Program
How to install Messenger Plus! Live without the Sponsor.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users