Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Buy New Monitor For An Old Tower?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EEclips3

EEclips3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:14 AM

Here are the specs:

-Hewlett-Packard
Pavilion
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
2.10 GHz, 448 MB RAM

Basically what I need to know: Can i upgrade my default monitor to a new/higher resolution monitor?

If so it is always necessary to upgrade my graphic card?

Is there a way to find out what resolution or display my computer cannot handle (example:LCD,FLATSCREEN,HD)

Any help is greatly appreciated my friend is quite lost on this one as am I :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

What is the model number of the Pavillion?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

Basically what I need to know: Can i upgrade my default monitor to a new/higher resolution monitor?
yes

If so it is always necessary to upgrade my graphic card?
Not neccessarily, but you may not be able to get to a big LCD's native resolution(How they are supposed to run, look the best at) with an extremely old onboard.

Is there a way to find out what resolution or display my computer cannot handle (example:LCD,FLATSCREEN,HD)
It will plug into pretty much anything, The part you have to be concerned about is buying a monitor with the right connection. AVG, DVI or HDMI. I would imagine that most monitors still come with the standard blue(AVG) connection, but its been a while. If you buy the wrong kind of monitor (connection-wise) you can always pick up an adapter. Most new HDTVs have a PC connection(AVG) if you decide to go that route, cost effectiveness depends on how big you want your monitor to be, the picture is quite clear running that way.
like a 22" monitor is cheaper than a 22" TV, but a 32" TV is way cheaper than a 32" monitor.

Any help is greatly appreciated my friend is quite lost on this one as am I :thumbsup:
Happy shopping :huh:

#4 EEclips3

EEclips3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:57 PM

What is the model number of the Pavillion?

I'm not sure I'm attempting to rebuild my computer and help a friend at the same time i have tons of questions but this is the start.

My computer > General Tab > Says just this

Hewlett-Packard
Pavilion
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
2.10 GHz 448 RAM

He says the decal for his model name has been removed from the tower by a previous owner. I've been working with him through google looking for exact model just by appearance but have yet to get close. Seem towers with similar looks but more powerful performance wise. Thanks for all the help guys :thumbsup:

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:26 AM

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
Will show you a LOT about your system, Shows me my model number too so It probably will yours. And its free :thumbsup:
The model number was under the system tab.

Edited by smurfgod, 25 August 2008 - 03:27 AM.

#6 EEclips3

EEclips3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:58 AM

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
Will show you a LOT about your system, Shows me my model number too so It probably will yours. And its free :thumbsup:
The model number was under the system tab.

Problem resolved, Thanks alot : )

Edited by EEclips3, 25 August 2008 - 03:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users