Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista System Restore - Help Please

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pocketjem

Pocketjem

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:01 AM

Hi

I'm running Windows Vista Business on a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with 2gb RAM.

The laptop came fitted with a 120gb hard drive and i've run out of disc space, so I bought a new 320gb hard disc and took it to our local computer store and asked them to clone the 120gb hard drive onto the 320gb hard drive so I could utilise the extra space.

When I got the computer back the first thing I did was to look at the hard disk properties to see how much space I now had available. The properties showed that I still had a 120gb hard drive fitted. So, I rang the computer shop and told them my findings and they told me that this was correct and that I would have to find the unused partition and assign it a different drive letter. I explained that all I wanted was ONE hard drive with the full capacity available to me, but they said that their software wasn't capable of expanding the original disc to take advantage of the new disks capacity. They offered no further help.

So, I initially tried to create/format a new partition in the extra space but I get a message saying that there isn't enough disk space available to carry out the command. Next I thought I would use Vista Business to do a complete system image backup, and restore that back onto the 320gb hard disk. Then I read that when the image is restored it will also restore the original hard disk partitions. Is there any way at all I can force Vista restore to utilise ALL of my 320gb hard drive on one partition?

Many thanks and I appreciate your help. As a business user I desparately need my laptop and don't want to be without it for another 7 days. I'm sort of hoping that this is something I can do myself. Just one other complicating factor... I don't have any Vista CD's etc, as the Dell system restore is on my hard drive letter 'D'

So, in conclusion, I now have a 320gb hard drive fitted in my laptop that is only showing that I have a 120gb hard drive fitted and I want to use Vista restore to enable the whole of the 320gb as drive 'C' (with perhaps a small partition for Dell's system recovery)

Again, many thanks for any help.

Jem

P.S., this is the extract from the bleepingcomputer.com help files...

This screen asks you whether or not you want to format and repartition the disks before you restore the data. If you select the Format and repartition disks option, Complete PC Restore will repartition and format the hard drive you are restoring to exactly as it was when you made the backup. If you do not choose this method, it will just erase the hard disk and restore the data to it. If you are using the same hard drive that you originally used to back up your computer then you may want to select the option to Format and repartition disks. On the other hand, if this is a new hard drive that you have partitioned in a different manner, then you should not select this option in order to keep your current disk configuration. It is important to note that with either option you select all the data on the disk you are restoring to will be erased. When you are ready to continue, you should click on the Finish button.

Edited by Pocketjem, 24 August 2008 - 03:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:49 AM

I haven't done this, but have been told (somewhere here on the forums) that it will work. If it doesn't work, then no damage will be done - BUT you're messing with the active partition on your hard drive so it's ALWAYS advisable to back up your important information!!!

Go to Start and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
In the lower pane of the resulting Window, right click on the portion of your hard drive that contains the OS (the 120 gB partition) and select "Extend Volume"

Here's a tutorial on it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/shrink-and-extend-ntfs-volumes-in-windows/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Pocketjem

Pocketjem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

Thanks, but i've already been there and tried that. The option to extend the partition is greyed out.

Any more suggestions... Please ???

Jem

#4 Joan Archer

Joan Archer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

Thanks, but i've already been there and tried that. The option to extend the partition is greyed out.

Jem

I can't help but just reading the post perhaps I'm being cynical but are you sure that they have actually fitted the larger drive, where are you looking to see it and know it's there ?

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

Some useful instructions here:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95418-di...ete-extend.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 Pocketjem

Pocketjem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

Jem

I can't help but just reading the post perhaps I'm being cynical but are you sure that they have actually fitted the larger drive, where are you looking to see it and know it's there ?

Yes, it's definately been fitted as its showing up as a 186gb unallocated partition. It's just that I can't do anything with it.

Jem

#7 Pocketjem

Pocketjem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:16 PM

Some useful instructions here:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95418-di...ete-extend.html

Whoo Hoo... :huh:

Fantastic thread, thank you so much for posting that link, it's now sorted and I have over 200gb free space :huh:

Cheers

Jem

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

Wh00t :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 Pocketjem

Pocketjem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

Wh00t :huh:

Yes, the lesson to learn here is that you can only expand into the partition immediately on the right (when viewed in disk management). For instance, if you have C,D E & F partitions you could only expand C into D and not into either E or F. If you wanted to expand C into E you would have to delete D first.

Or at least that's sort of how it works :huh:

Thanks again for the help folks, i'm a happy bunny now :huh:

Jem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users