Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen - Can't Get Into Windows At All

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 meltin

meltin

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:48 AM

Hi,

First, thanks so much for clicking on my topic!

Problem: I can't get past the BIOS screen. It's frozen on it and won't let me even choose to go into any of the modes. The first couple of times I tried to go into Safe Mode, it would let me choose it but then went to a blue screen that said

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

stop error

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFO, OX00000000, OX805645BA, OX00000000)

It also said something about there being an error. I would type it verbatim but it won't let me get to that screen now.

Past History: Before this happened, I had purchased and ran STOPzilla and burned some backup copies of DVD's. I had forgotten to delete them afterward. I think it may be a problem with space on the hard drive.

I tried doing the XP ISO tutorial and making a restore disk but was unsuccessful.

I'm sorry if any of this is unclear. I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me!

Edited by meltin, 24 August 2008 - 02:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:23 AM

Desktop Dell's usually have a set of 4 diagnostic lights in the back panel. Do you have these, and are they all Green?
Can you access the Dell diagnostics, or does the computer lock up before this?
What is the last screen that you see before the black screen comes up?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 meltin

meltin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

I just tried to turn it on. The monitor won't even come on now. I found the four lights in the back. They're labeled A B C D. The A and B are orange and the other two are green. It was beeping at me too.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

What model Dell are we talking about?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

From this link (for a Dimension 4600) http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...rbl.htm#1084976
It says that you've got a memory problem. Get back to us with the model number so that we can make sure that this is correct.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest running this free, bootable memory diagnostic: http://www.memtest86.com/
Let it run for a minimum of 3 passes - but overnight is better. If it starts giving errors you can stop the test immediately and post back for more troubleshooting instructions.

Try the Standalone file at this download site for a copy of SIW: http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
Run the program and get the memory information for us (if it fails the memory test).
Right click on the Memory category (under Hardware) and select Export to...txt and save it as a text file on your desktop. Then open it and copy the text to paste to your next post here. That'll tell us how much memory you've got and we can move on in the testing from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 meltin

meltin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

What model Dell are we talking about?

It's a Dimension B110. Sorry I didn't put that in the first post. I couldn't find it the first time I looked. It's written in silver on a gray tower so it's kinda hard to see.

#7 meltin

meltin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

From this link (for a Dimension 4600) http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...rbl.htm#1084976
It says that you've got a memory problem. Get back to us with the model number so that we can make sure that this is correct.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest running this free, bootable memory diagnostic: http://www.memtest86.com/
Let it run for a minimum of 3 passes - but overnight is better. If it starts giving errors you can stop the test immediately and post back for more troubleshooting instructions.

Try the Standalone file at this download site for a copy of SIW: http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
Run the program and get the memory information for us (if it fails the memory test).
Right click on the Memory category (under Hardware) and select Export to...txt and save it as a text file on your desktop. Then open it and copy the text to paste to your next post here. That'll tell us how much memory you've got and we can move on in the testing from there.

I can't get it to even come on now. I'm on BC through my laptop. I just tried to turn it on again and it beeped six times and did nothing else.

#8 meltin

meltin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

I'm taking it to a computer repair shop today because I'm waaaay in over my head here. Thanks so much for trying to help me and I'm sorry I've wasted your time! Thanks again!

#9 meltin

meltin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

I got it back yesterday. It's working great! Turns out all I needed was a new stick of RAM. The old one burned out. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users