Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntldr Is Missing - Have I Done Everything?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:04 AM

I'm getting the "NTLDR is missing" error when booting. I've read a lot about it, and this is what I"ve tried:

- Replaced NTLDR and NTDETECT files
- Deleted Boot.ini
- BOOTCFG /Rebuild
- CHKDSK /R /F
- FIXBOOT
- Ran a utility that wrote a new Master Boot Record. (Should I have done this first?)

I also used Mr. Comer's advice at http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm.

My computer runs XP Media Center Edition. I don't have a install disk for it, but I tried using a XP Home disk to do a repair installation. Unfortunately, it doesn't give me the option to repair the installation. (I don't know if that's because I'm using the "wrong" disk - somewhere I read that you might not get the option for other reasons.)

Nothing works.

I was able to back up my drive, so I have all the data. Here are my questions:

1) What would happen if I installed XP Home over the existing installation? I know I'd have to reinstall the programs, but would I also have to restore the data?

2) If I take the computer to a professional repair place, what would they try? Can they do anything I can't do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lose'N'Control

Lose'N'Control

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:09 AM

Hi, I am new here, just a warning :flowers: , but I had just experienced the same problem on my computer. I encountered a virus, recently, within the last few days, and have been trying to remove it. I know that it is/was some time of trojan, AVG just isn't as surefire when it deletes a virus as you hope it would be :trumpet: haha, but when booting my machine today, I made it through all the steps as normal, then while loading startup items on the desktop my monitor went blank, and my drive started to go crazy. I could hear it "working" very hard, the type of sounds it makes when I'm deleting a BIG file, or doing a virus scan. I feared it was the former, so I immediately powered down. When I tried to Restart my machine, I received the same error you are having. the "Ntldr is missing press ctrl+alt+delete to restart" me being the simpleton that I am, I tried
a. pressing ctrl+alt+delete, and restarting - end result, a continual loop of restarts with no change.

b. going into my bios and looking around, - end result, the same (but I figured it was worth looking around at settings, it seemed whatever happened didn't effect my bios.

c. Unplugging my hard drive from power (from power supply on MOBO), and information (To Motherboard). (I have a SATA type drive) I don't think the size and manufacturer are important here, HOWEVER what is important is the fact that, after plugging my hard drive back in. PRESTO "ntldr missing" did not occur.

So, Step C. seemed like it was going well, until, After reaching the desktop on reboot a few moments went by before my monitor went blank, and my hard drive attempted to "delete" or I was worried it was trying to "reformat" - this lead me to believe that the virus was just in my startup programs, So I

a. Pressed the Power button, and powered down
B. tried to restart and received "ntldr missing press ctrl+alt+delete"
c. powered down, unplugged and replugged Hard drive
D. Booted machine
(While it was booting I attempted to start in safe mode, but I forgot the command :thumbsup: Lol, I warned you I'm not technical.) So, I let it start up in normal mode, and logged into windows, but as SOON as I could see the desktop I started hitting ctrl+alt+delete and went down my program list.
"Luckily" I am familiar with most of the programs I have running on my machine since I pretty much am the only user, I immediately started shutting down all the 'suspect' processes I didn't recognize, and (crossing fingers) shut down the process that was causing my hard drive & monitor to perform unwanted actions.
It worked, and I was able to get online, and start the laborious task of identifying my problem and fixing it.

--I don't know if this is the same type of thing that happened to you, but, I saw that no one had replied to you so I thought I'd give it a shot hehe, blind leading the blind :inlove: ??----- Good luck!

P.S.
I thought it was pretty clever, I don't know if it will work for you, but , as a testament to its success, I'm online right now, because that is exactly what just happened to me, I've been up and running without the virus (running) for about 30 minutes, LOL, its still in my machine I am running a scan right now , but I doubt it will amount to anything, so I downloaded Hijack this, and was hoping someone on the forums could help me find / identify the virus , and remove it.

Oh, and if you do try what I said, ONLY TRY IT IF YOU KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND THE INSIDES OF YOUR MACHINE! (I am a trial and error kind of guy, so if I break something I learn from it, this may not be what you want to try and do :cool: fair warning, GOOD LUCK!)

Edited by Lose'N'Control, 24 August 2008 - 03:11 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:31 AM

NTLDR is missing is an error message that the Boot Sector cannot locate it. So, it's either not there, something is wrong with it, or something is wrong with the boot sector.

I'd suggest going back into the Recover Console and then....
run "fixmbr" (without the quotes)
then run "fixboot" (without the quotes)

After that I'd try the NTLDR is missing article again.

If it still doesn't work, then I'd suspect it's time to try a bootable diagnostic on your hard drive. You can usually get one for free from your hard drive manufacturer. Post back with the manufacturer and we'll help locate the link for it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:00 AM

I'd suggest going back into the Recover Console and then....
run "fixmbr" (without the quotes)
then run "fixboot" (without the quotes)

It didn't work.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop running Windows XP Media Center Edition. It didn't come with a reisntall disc.

I also have Ultimate Boot CD for Windows; if you're not familiar with it please look at http://www.UBCD4Win.com. CAn any of the diagnostic tools on this disc help me?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

Well...the problem that I see is that you don't have an operating system backup...which can be used for a repair or a clean install.

XP Media Center is not XP Home or XP Pro. To install either of those would require proper license/key for either O/S. I don't believe you have either.

Info on Recovery/Restore CDs: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...XP+Media+Center

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2008 - 11:49 AM.

#6 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

XP Media Center is not XP Home or XP Pro. To install either of those would require proper license/key for either O/S. I don't believe you have either.

I'm pretty sure that I do, because my XP Home disk came with my other computer. But assume that I want to follow the rules strictly, or that it simply won't let me install it for some reason. Are you saying that there's nothing I can do?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

Did you bother looking at the link for Recovery CDs?

I think that's your best solution...not just for the moment but for the future.

Louis

#8 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:33 PM

Those links mostly don't help. A few mention a "Recovery partition", but my Dell doesn't seem to have one.
One discusses how to make an installation CD from a Recovery CD, but I don't have one. So I guess I'm stuck.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:12 PM

You can obtain replacement recovery CD's from Dell. I've heard of a few people getting them for free, but they may want to charge you a nominal fee for them (it's a lot cheaper than another copy of XP).

But doing a recovery or repair on the system isn't justified until you know that the hard drive is good. To find the manufacturer of your hard drive you're going to have to open up your case and take a look at it

HDTune on the UBCD4WIN will give you an idea of what's going on with your hard drive - but it's not as thorough as a manufacturer's test.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

You can obtain replacement recovery CD's from Dell. I've heard of a few people getting them for free, but they may want to charge you a nominal fee for them (it's a lot cheaper than another copy of XP).

They won't send me a disk. They'll only send out a technician for $99 to fix it.

Meanwhile I've run HDTune. It didn't find any damaged blocks, which is good since the drive is only a few months old.

Edited by shawnvw, 24 August 2008 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users