Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 3.0.1 Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 2230

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:43 PM

When using Firefox, there are a few sites that cause Firefox to close with the error message, "Firefox has encountered a problem, and needs to close."
A couple of the sites are:
Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com)
cranenetwork.com

I was using an older version of Ff (v2.0.0.13), so thinking that may have been the problem, I uninstalled that version then downloaded the latest version (3.0.1), and installed it.
I did a clean install, removing the profile folder.
That didn't help.
I still had the same problem.
i'm not haveing any problem with internet explorer going to these sites,just firefox.
tg1911 tried to help me with this, but he couldn't figure out what was causing this, so suggested I ask here.
Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions.

All help appreciated.:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hi 2230,

I cannot find a record of your thread with our tg1911 to verify what was covered, so please start by using the following Knowledge Base article to troubleshoot your crashing problem.

Firefox Crashes
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 2230

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

he is a freind that built my computer there is no thread sorry for the confusion

EDIT:
problem solved .redownloaded another copy. installed it. apparently file the was corrupt .problem seems to be solved for now .appreciate the help greatly.thanks!!!!!

Edited by 2230, 24 August 2008 - 01:03 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

If the problem re-occurs, post back
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

The problem has returned.
If I can remember everything, I'll try to update everyone as to what we did. :thumbsup:

I thought it could have been the older version of Ff that was causing the problem, so I had him uninstall it, download the newest version, and install it.
Same problem.
So I walked him through a clean install of the new version, removing the Profile folder.
Same problem.
Today he tried it again; uninstall/fresh download/reinstall.
Same problem.
I thought it might be either the network card (7 years old), or an ISP (AT&T broadband) problem.
Isp said the connection was OK, so I had him try swapping PCI slots, before buying the new card, just in case it was a bad slot.
After swapping slots, he said Ff was working again.
That's when he made his last post, saying the problem was fixed.
That lasted for about 30 min, then I got another call, crashed again.
Went and bought a new card, and that worked for about 30 minutes, then crashed again.

Called his ISP, and they checked and rechecked everything, saying all was OK.

During this whole process, IE was working.
Then, earlier today, IE download speeds were starting to slow way down, similar to dial-up speeds.
Now, IE is back to normal.

I'm wondering if it could be one of the MS Critical updates he installed yesterday.
He installed about 80 of them.
I had him install 3 at a time, then reboot after each 3.
Took him most of the day. :flowers:

I sent him this link to see if anything there would help:
Error Loading Any Website
That's what he's working on now.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

One thing that happened to me once, check you add-ons. If there is one there listed as dcom (I believe) Remove it. It's suppose to remove itself when you reboot the computer. It is supposed to check the integrity of the download.
Try removing update KB951748
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

To totally remove Firefox, besides the program folders, there are some registry keys:

1. Backup your bookmarks as a Bookmarks.html file. In Firefox 2 go to the Bookmarks menu, select 'Organize Bookmarks', then select File>Export. In Firefox 3, go to the Bookmarks menu, select 'Organize Bookmarks', then select 'Import and Backup'>Export HTML. Note the difference between .HTML and .JSON Bookmark files is explained in more detail in the Advanced Tweaking section of the guide.

2. Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP; or Control Panel>Programs & Features in Windows Vista, and if a 'Mozilla Firefox' entry (or similar) exists, select it and click Change/Remove and uninstall it. During uninstallation, tick the 'Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations' box as well.

3. Go to your \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox directory and delete it and all of its contents if it still exists.

4. Delete the following directories if they exist:

In Windows XP -

\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla

\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla

In Windows Vista -

\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Mozilla

\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\

Note that this will delete all of your bookmarks and saved settings, so make sure you've backed up your bookmarks as covered in step 1. You might also want to note down any passwords which you might otherwise forget.

5. Find and remove all Firefox/Mozilla-related entries in the Windows Registry. Using the Windows Registry Editor (Start>Run>Regedit), delete the following keys - that is, right click on their name in the left pane of Registry Editor and select Delete:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxURL\]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\firefox.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins]

Note: If you also have Mozilla Thunderbird or any other Mozilla products installed, make sure to only uninstall entries under the keys above which relate directly to Firefox by name.

If you are not confident with using the Registry Editor, see the Windows Registry chapter of the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for more detailed instructions and other registry cleaning alternatives.

The steps above will remove all the major Firefox-related settings and traces which can cause problems with newer or even existing installations. In most cases you should only have to undertake Steps 1 and 2 of the above list. However again I must stress that if you are updating to Firefox 3 or newer from an older version of Firefox, or having strange problems with Firefox and nothing else in this guide works to resolve it, then I strongly suggest you follow all the steps above so you can remove all traces of Firefox.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users