Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bult New Computer...never Has Worked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SkipDiver

SkipDiver

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:46 PM

...I have been building this computer for a year now. AND I am really excited to get it working. HOWEVER...I have had NUMEROUS motherboard issues with ASUS (whom I normally like) that the motherboards were...well...lemons. I have a VERY fast processor for it and loaded the RAM to the max. I just could never get the darn thing to turn on the monitor...it fired up..but no screen. OBVIOUSLY I thought of the GPU right off the bat (Nvidia 9600GT OC) took that out and put it in a friends computer..fired up no problem. Tried buying new ram...nope...tried everything...FINALLY set the motherboard back to ASUS RMA and they sent me another. Same problem. I did this three times till they sent one back that explained that this one was tested and KNOWN to work. I put it in and fired it up. Tada screen. 5 seconds into the booting...turns off. Start up again...same thing....5-7 second. I called ASUS and they told me that I didn't have enough processor goo inbetween the processor and the fan. The fan had some on it that HEATED up the first time you put in on the processor and it was supposed to be enough..so I just used that. so I took their advice and bought MORE and then cleaned the contacts with the proper alcohol pad and then did a TAPE measuring tool thing that can with the pdf instructions. NOW the computer screen doesnt even turn on since then and then STILL turns off 5-7 seconds of hitting power. ANY suggestions would be PERFECT! Thanks for the help...it would be amazing. DJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:32 AM

Wow....that's long winded. There could be a host of issues causing problems. Such as a faulty motherboard, CPU, PSU, RAM, a broken stand-off, an unseated or broken PCI card, or a damaged HSF just to name a few. Be careful when applying thermal paste to your processor, too much can act as an insulator of heat instead of a transferring medium.

3939.png

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

Adding to what DJBPace07 suggested, try running it on the table top, out of the case. Place it on some cardboard and just install the memory. If it turns on, add things back one at a time
Just remember that you're dealing with electricity, so use precaution

What type of thermal compound are you using? You do not use a lot. A drop about the size of a grain of rice. See instructions here
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Rule of thumb
Hook everything up but without the CPU installed and turn it on. If it turns on and remains running, you have a bad CPU

Edited by garmanma, 24 August 2008 - 09:35 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 SkipDiver

SkipDiver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

I'll try them both out tonight...thanks for your help thus far and I will let you know what I find out. I NEED this computer to start working...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users