Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd Hard Drive Working 30 Minutes Ago, Now Not.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:45 PM

It's been a while since i've posted here, but i have another issue in dire need of being solved, and this has always been one of the best places to get computer advice.

So here's the story, i'm going to try and lay it out clearly with as little extra "fluff" as possible:

I have 2 hdd's in my computer in a master/slave relationship on the primary IDE cable (4-year old computer). I was transfering a large amount of media (pictures, music, videos) from my master to my slave to take the load off my OS (XP SP2) supporting drive. I transfered about 10 gb's of music, and was in the process of cutting/pasting about 7 more when the computer became extremely slow and unresponsive. The transfer SEEMED to finish, even though my mouse clicks and keyboard strokes did nothing. I did a hard reboot (held the power button for 5 secs) and restarted the computer.

When the computer finally finished booting up (taking much longer than usual), i could barely do anything without waiting 2 minutes for my system to respond. This was the first time that i noticed my slave hdd had disappeared from My Computer. It was also making some funny noises, so i opened the computer up to find pounds of dust everywhere.

After spending about 30 minutes with air-in-a-can blowing out all the dust i could, i made sure to securely connect all IDE and power cables to the hdd's. I reassembled and restarted my computer. It runs slightly faster than what it had before all this started happening, but there's still no indication of a 2nd hdd. It's not in My Computer, device management, or the My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management path. It's as if there's nothing connected to the slave IDE connector.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:35 AM

Your second disk might have physical damage preventing it from working. Try removing the second drive completely and see if the PC speeds up.

3939.png

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for the reply DJB.

I ran the computer with the second drive unplugged, but there's no difference from when it's plugged in. It's having no detrimental effect on my system, so i guess it's not interfering with any operations, meaning it's its own problem. In my original post, i stated that the computer actually runs a little faster than when it did before the problems started happening, i think you may have misunderstood me. After cleaning out the dust, the computer is actually a bit better than what it has been in the past. It's faster, but there's no 2nd hdd now. It's not the computer's performance i'm worried about, but its ability to recognize my slave drive. I don't think me cleaning out the dust has anything to do with the 2nd hdd not showing up, since the hdd problem actually resulted in me finding the dust, lol.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

Take a look in Event Viewer and post any information from errors that involve any hard drive or disk...from today and yesterday :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:30 PM

Hey Hamluis, thanks for the response.

I scoured the event log, but the only thing i could find that resembles an error around the time i'm thinking is:

The SAVRT service failed to start due to the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at *blah link blah*.

The information of the entry is:

Source: Service Control Manager
Category: None
Type: Error
Event ID: 7000
User: N/A

I got the same error about 20 minutes later, i'm assuming after i rebooted. It also happened about an hour and a half later after i finished cleaning out all the dust and reconnecting all the IDE and power cables. It also happened a couple of times when i don't think i actually restarted, but i could be mistaken.

EDIT: Something else i noticed. The "activity" LED (for lack of a better name) on the front of my pc tower is staying lit. It's not blinking/strobing/flashing or doing it's regular irregular flickering. I haven't had a chance to restart, since i've been rushing around trying to get to classes and get stuff done, so i haven't been able to test if a reboot would solve that problem. Would the LED have anything to do with, or make me aware of, the (seemingly) failure of my 2nd hdd?

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 25 August 2008 - 07:55 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

If you have hard drive problems (and it seems that you do), that LED that isn't blinking is probably XP trying to cope with whatever is wrong with a given drive...by running chkdsk in the background.

What I would do is run chkdsk /r on every drive on the system, no matter how long it takes.

After that is complete, I would then defrag each drive...and hope that those two procedures make a difference.

That's just what I would do :thumbsup:, not necessarily what others would do or what should be done.

http://www.file.net/process/savrt.sys.html

You might also run a couple of online scans for malware...before you do anything else.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 August 2008 - 08:48 PM.

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

The LED is still on, and i checked the BIOS earlier today. There's no sign of a 2nd hdd anywhere in there. I only have 2 devices listed as being connected via IDE, and that's my primary hdd and my CD/DVD drive.

I ran an online scan (kapersky) and it didn't find anything worth mentioning. I don't know what the point of running a checkdisk scan is if the BIOS doesn't even recognize that there is a 2nd disk. Same goes for the defrag. I think i defragged about a week ago, and haven't made many changes to the master hdd.... besides moving a ton of media around.... so yeah, i probably SHOULD do that again, :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

Try a different cable?

Try putting each drive on a separate cable (temporarily)?

The fact that the drive doesn't show in the BIOS...seems to indicate a connection/hardware problem, IMO.

Louis

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:32 PM

Try a different cable?

Try putting each drive on a separate cable (temporarily)?

The fact that the drive doesn't show in the BIOS...seems to indicate a connection/hardware problem, IMO.

Louis

I tried putting the slave onto the primary IDE cable port (the one my master is on) and the BIOS still didn't recognize it. I couldn't boot up windows, but i was able to go into the BIOS, and with the slave as my "master", the only IDE device that showed up was my CD/DVD drive. That's what led me to believe the problem is in the drive itself. I tried cleaning the power contacts with rubbing alcohol and blowing out the IDE port, but neither worked. I'm beginning to think that the drive is just completely dead :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users