Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Jaming And Locking Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SkipDiver

SkipDiver

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:29 PM

Hello. I have a laptop from a girl from work and I was trying to get rid of most of the spyware and other nasties from her computer as a favor. I managed to get some out...however. Her internet explorer has never worked since I got it. I open it and it just opens to a blank screen and jams the computer into an almost locked up state. I CAN get rid of it by Task Managing it and end tasking. She also had firefox installed on the computer, which I know nothing about...I don't use that program...and I tried to delete it and it went through all the steps and said it was deleted and never deleted then. AND I could still use firefox after I apparently "fake" deleted it. I did that at least 4-5 times before I gave up on that. I tried going back to IE and resolve that issue, but nothing is progressing, thus my turn for help to you who are out there. Please help me fix this issue (assuming minor) so that she can get this laptop back in working order and ready for school...its a necessity she has told me. Thanks again for your help. Let me know what you need me to do. I am using MY computer to write this, as I have NO internet access or a program to use on hers. Thanks. DJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:03 AM

What security softwares: Antivirus, antispyware, are you using to clean up?

Have you tried running them in Safe Mode?

#3 SkipDiver

SkipDiver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

I used Norton 2006 that she had installed on the computer. I also used other programs like Spybot Search n Destroy. Adware. combofix and sdfix. I also tried a malware search and (2) different Virtumondo softwares. Safe mode for use on all programs. IE just locks the comp up and doesn't connect.

#4 stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Banned
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:55 AM

Why did you delete firefox? its the only program that does not use IE as the only way to access the internet, thats why its safer and faster, also my IE on vista loads just like what you said, because of that i HAVE to use firefox or i get a crash! just download the installer for firefox onto a cd or usb flash drive from the pc your using then install it back into her pc, you will see firefox will load great without crashing the system or loading spyware + viruses

EDIT: Also firefox looks slightly like ie 6, but not as bad.

Edited by stupidhomer, 26 August 2008 - 12:56 AM.

#5 SkipDiver

SkipDiver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

I added firefox back onto this computer. HOWEVER, I don't want firefox. I am just using it to send you replys and to have SOME internet access on it. PLEASE help me figure this out. I have put the STOCK IE settings to start from scratch and easiest use. It still just locks up the computer and has a blank white screen. It doesn't even try to connect from what I can tell. Thanks again for all your help!

#6 stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Banned
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

All you have to do is delete 1 single dll to make ie do that, sorry but IE is dead now.

#7 SkipDiver

SkipDiver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

IE is dead now? Now that I don't believe....how do I re-put in that .dll...or make IE work again? Do I have to completely reinstall Vista? I can ask her if she deleted anything...but I know I have deleted it...it never worked since before I had it. There HAS to be a way to add it again. Anyway known?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users