Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Desktop Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johndew06

johndew06

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:44 PM

Hey everybody!

i'm a bit new here so please excuse me, my knowledge with computers isn't great what so ever.

i'll give you all description of what i'm using first. i have 2 computers, both are Windows XP desktop's, but only one is directly connected by cable to the internet. the other computer is running wireless. my cable modem is linksys, and my router is CompUSA.

both computers were working fine until last week, the wireless computer would not connect to the internet what so ever. i've been trying to fix it myself by messing around with the available networks and what not. i've tried repairing and everything but none seems to work.

everytime i try repairing, i'm stuck at the 'Requiring Network Address' stage. and other times my computer say it is connected to the internet when it is actually not.

i just need some help here please!

thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

The best thing to do in this case would be to log into your router and completely re-create the network name (SSID) and the security key. To make things simple, make sure that you change the network name to something new. Try re-connecting with your computer to see if that helps. It is possible that your router may have just lost the settings.

#3 johndew06

johndew06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:14 PM

hey, and thanks for the reply phantek!

but i have a new problem now, i was trying to fix and play around with it yesterday but then all of a sudden, everything that was related to being wireless was gone!

i don't even have that little icon on the bottom that says whether or not im connected. could you help with that?

#4 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

Sure thing - it is probably just disabled and this can be easily fixed. Just click "Start" and choose "Control Panel". If, at the top-left, it says "Switch to Classic View" then click it... otherwise you can leave it alone. Double-click on "Network Connections" and it should load up everything we need here. Look to see if you have a "wireless" icon. If you do, right-click it and see if you can "enable" it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users