Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Makes Linux Different From Windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 i am not known

i am not known

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:11 PM

well hi i have never heard of linux and i truly have no idea what it is? Is it an operating system like windows?

If it is which do you think is better and why?

If it isn't what is it?
I hear a boy only has a certain amount of tears one day the pain and dissapointment happen so often the pain dissapers and the boy becomes a man

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:11 AM

Linux is an Operating System. It is an alternative to
MS Windows just as the Apple OS.
Linux provides a more secure computing environment
due to it's security model. It is not prone to the same
virus and malware problems that Windows users have.
Read more here:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/whats-this-li...hould-i-try-it/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:30 AM

What raw said plus some more links (the first two is in case you missed them :flowers:)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/100007/an-introductory-guide-to-linux/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/41001/which-distro-is-right-for-me/
http://www.linux.org/info/
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
http://mostly-linux.blogspot.com/2006/06/1...r-needs-to.html

I maybe a little biased :thumbsup: but I'd say Linux is better :trumpet:, it's free and you don't have all that virus, spyware, addware stuff to worry about, but you just need to pick out one to try and go from there. Then join their forum as thats the normally best place to get answers about specific questions you will have since there are so many different distros out there that are all just alittle different, and of course what can be answered here as well.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

Good links. I suspect you are more interested in the technical merits of one over the other but this is difficult to quantify on an ongoing basis as each system is in a constant state of leapfrogging over the other in technical issues. From a technical aspect, Windows has the upper hand in the area of a small handful of applications such as CAD, personal finance and some multimedia formats, but this is changing.

Linux is an operating system kernel that was inspired by UNIX (through minix) but optimized for the small personal computer market. UNIX has been around for close to 40 years and is considered the "big guns" of computing by everyone who's anyone in industry, medicine, academia, space travel, air travel, research, finances, etc.

The problem was that UNIX costs money and lots of it (way more than Windows) ...so Linus Torvalds and others opted to design something for the home user that was free or next to free. Linux today refers to Linux the kernel and a group of software applications based on opensource software correctly known as GNU/Linux.

Unfortunately the perfect OS hasn't been designed yet. Each has its place. The above posts are correct in that Linux has inherently better security designed into the system whereas Windows has it as an add-on feature (although MS is now "borrowing" some of these features from Linux and of course claiming them as their own innovations).

MS's contribution to computing has been making it available to the masses. MS's damage to computing has been that in order to make it ubiquitous, it has turned the PC into an "appliance" much the same as your toaster or lawnmower. You don't need to know or care about how stuff gets done. Just press a button and stuff gets done. In reality, having used Windows for W95 through Wxp I can tell you that ease of use is more a marketing whitewash than reality. I've had plenty of problems with drivers, incompatible formats, forced upgrades, viruses, reinstalls and EOL'd products using Windows.

Although it DIDN'T used to be, nowadays In Linux, you can either choose "press a button" or you can dig deeper into the guts of your system if you wish. Linux does have some challenges ahead of it mostly due to an ingrained infrastructure and psychological momentum garnered by Windows over the past 20 years. Basically, the Winapp model (MS and others) allows a small handful of vendors to control just about every aspect of the user experience based on what's best (financially) for those vendors. This results in forced upgrades, end of life or support issues, and unhealthy hardware alliances.

Linux has some of the SAME issues. The difference is that in Windows, these problems are ARTIFICIALLY created to maximize profits. In the opensource community these issues exist for more benign reasons. But they still exist. The technical comparisons between the two Os's can change on any given day. Sometimes Linux is ahead of Windows and sometimes vice versa. For me the opensource model has some strikes against it from a business perspective, but in total has the best prospect for being an all 'round higher quality operating system. If you measure quality only by the number of installed systems then Windows has the upper hand.

The rate of progression in Linux has skyrocketed more in the past 18 months than Windows has in the past 18 years , but the infrastructure favors the Winapp model so for now, Linux is a niche market. Having said that, I have used Mandriva for my business for the past three years and all the contractors and clients I do business with are none the wiser. Linux and its community has the desire AND ability to be interoperable with as many hardware and software platforms as possible with an eye towards OPENNESS. MS also wants interoperability....but on its own terms, using its own closely guarded and hidden formats , specifications and protocols. Which do you think is better for the consumer?

Hope this helps

Edited by Trio3b, 24 August 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#5 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:49 AM

Yeah sure, all that.

But, who cares, really? Most of us don't want to be bothered with the technical aspects of Linux. Sure, it is more secure, sure managing software is light years ahead in Linux, and there really are sound technical reasons why Linux is "better" -- but

I like the way Linux (Debian) lets me do a thing without getting in my way. It doesn't 2nd guess me, it doesn't pester me, it does what I want it to, when I want it to. And it does it quickly and without pomp and circumstance. I like the way I can recover from a power surge and not lose data. Linux plays well with others, too - not like Windows. I can type or click to get the same results from my machine, I can control hardware better in Linux - more things work without fuss in Linux, and Linux doesn't add a bunch of bleep to my hard drive in order to please marketing or OEM partners.

Isn't that what we really want? Just a thing to do as we please without giving us a hard time - without breaking - withour having to call some company and give them our personal data so they can lose it and or whore it out.

Linux works for me, Windows works for Microsoft. For me the choice is pretty clear. But, some people really like blue and really need to be contained. Some people enjoy being lied to and taken for a ride -- whatever floats their boat, I suppose.

#6 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:30 PM

OP requested a comparison and I gave a thumbnail sketch. These longer explanations are EXACTLY what MS DOES NOT want the user to know or care about.... allowing them to keep the user in a state of ignorant bliss. As I mentioned before, the Winapp paradigm has been CAREFULLY sculpted to reduce the PC to an appliance level experience (which it is not).

We all know that everything DOES NOT work so smoothly in Windows NOR does it in Linux. My contention is that in the proprietary world many of these niggles are artificially concocted to serve the stockholders. In opensource, many of the same issues exist, but generally for more BENIGN reasons. The fact is that the PC user has been conditioned to value a specific result oriented experience and ignore the potential (and in many cases the reality of) superiority of an opensource model.

I just don't want to feed the new Linux user the same line of BS that MS has used for the past 20 years.

Edited by Trio3b, 29 August 2008 - 02:37 PM.

#7 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:18 PM

OP wrote:

"well hi i have never heard of linux and i truly have no idea what it is? Is it an operating system like windows?

If it is which do you think is better and why?

If it isn't what is it?"

OP asked a subjective question which could be inferred to mean a comparison of the 2 systems with respect to technical issues, or a history of Linux, or a couple reasons why someone actually thinks Linux is better -- or not.

We gave him all of the above ;)

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:15 PM

Pick several burn them to a CD and try them live without installing them. Then pick your favorite one to use, then install it on a spare computer or continue to use the LiveCD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users