Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Trouble!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mjn211

mjn211

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

My Internet Explorer will not connect to the internet. It displays this message when i ran a diagnostic test.."Windows cannot connect to Internet using HTTP,HTTPS,or FTP" and it said to check firewall settings. I know my computer is connected to the internet b/c i have been on Itunes, etc. Any Suggestions as to how I can fix this??

I DESPERATLEY NEED HELP WITH THIS!

Edited by mjn211, 24 August 2008 - 07:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

Have you checked your firewall settings or have you tried disabling your firewall at all? Additionally, have you run a full system anti-virus scan after updating your virus program?

#3 mjn211

mjn211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

I disabled my firewall and tried and it still didnt work..i should run a virus scan but how can i change my firewall settings other than turning it off..

#4 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:49 AM

Yep, turning it off should have done it. We want to check for a couple of things. In Internet Explorer, we want to go into "Tools", "Internet Options", select the "Connections" tab at the top and click on the button that says "LAN settings". Make sure that there is no check-mark beside "use a proxy server for your LAN...".

Next, we want to make sure that your computer is connecting at all. I will assume you are using XP or Vista. In XP, click on Start, Control Panel, and if it says "Switch to Classic View" at the top left, click on that... otherwise leave it alone. Then double-click on "network connections".

If you are using Vista, go to Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center, and choose "Manage Network Connections" on the left-hand side.

After you are there, take a look at your "Local Area Connection" and make sure there is no "x" or "!" symbol on the icon. If there is not, right-click and choose "status". If you are on XP, you will need to select the "support" tab at the top. If you are on Vista, you will click the "Details" button. On XP, it is just the line that says "IP address" while on Vista look for the line that says "IPv4 IP Address".

If the IP address is blank, all 0's, or something that starts with a 169. then it is saying that your computer does not have a proper connection to your router. The problem could be with the networking card or drivers on the computer, or with the router itself. If it is pretty well any other IP address, then it could be a firewall issue still. Let us know what your IP address is and we will take it from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users